forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Installation Reply with quote

Where are Examples and other items installed? Do not see it
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stuff goes in C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\ and the example code goes in \Path To Your My Documents\FTN95 Examples. This has been done in later releases in order to maintain compatibility with Vista, which, like it or not, seems like it is here to stay.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Looked at them. Here are some thougts.

Did I miss the warning at installation time about examples folder location or you guys forgot to warn ?

By the way, the most important advertisement is EXAMPLES.
And besides for .NET I do not find that there were plenty of them.
No examples of calling spreadsheets from FTN95 or examples of calling Matlab graphics, or parsing webpages and launching it in browser. This and MUCH more what FTN95 is capable never cross peoples mind.

OpenGL does not work just out of the box. Who will bother to find absent glaux.dll ?

Not many eye candies at all
Please ask SimplePlot guy to rebuild his demo examples and first of all to change finally his 20 years old 4 bit VGA graphics card or I can send him one - so much I hate his 16-color 2D/3D levels )."Filled surface from simpleplot" is exactly taken from CGA screen of PC XT 1983

I will probably also not get a clue for a long time what the Visual Clearwin is if will not switch to .NET, since there are no compiled EXEs demos and only one .NET example (threads) compiles with win32

As to new eyecandies, you may ask users if they will contribute.

I am surptised from the beginning when I found Salford ftn77 that you guys do not advertise your great compiler. My experience says that 99.99% of fortran users are not familiar even with the name "Salford" (not saying Silverfrost). While everyone knows Compaq/DEC/Intel, 50% know Lahey, 10% heard about Absoft. AND ALMOST EVERYONE asks me to repeat several times the name "Salford" Smile

Your compiler became finally pretty stable and capable for many things, you may look at tuning its speed by just comparing FTN95 and Intel executables for example on simple tests. Even Absoft improved the speed recently by factor of 2 while Salford still lags.

Start pushing it in the labs and universities where large codes are common because you know very well that your compiler is the best at catching most hidden logical bugs.
http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05-win32-diagnose0html
(fix aliased dummy argument variable check, and array bound error for pointer array component of derived type and it will be 100%)

"Experience suggests that there are 15-50 errors per 1000 lines of delivered code". With other compilers people will even never find most of them and will always wonder why code behaved sometimes irrationally. While Salford's /undef is just deadliest pest control ever, it finds logical flow errors, so it is just much more than just one additional sintax check option. I usually beat to everyone that I will find with FTN95 at least 100 errors in their large codes and always win Smile Advertise this!
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

When you select the example section in the installer, it does specify the location to which it will install.

As for example code I am posting a notice in announcements about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: