forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using slink 3gb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: using slink 3gb Reply with quote

Paul,

Finally, I now have a new pc with 4gb of memory and would like to test the slink 3gb switch, with 3gb of physical memory available.
I think I have now mastered the /3gb switch in boot.ini and am now ready to write a program that can make use of the extra adressable memory.
Do you have a coding example and associated slink commands which demonstrate the use of more than 2gb of addressible memory?

regards John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have /3GB in your boot.ini, you will get 3GB of memory
from SLINK automatically provided that you are not using one of the debugging options (your SLINK version number must not be too old).

You can force 3GB by using a 3GB command in SLINK.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have tried this but am unable to get an operating version of my test program attempts, due to 2 main problems.
1. I don't appear able to define more than 2gb of arrays ( in either common, vc or modules) and produce a .exe which is acceptable to cmd.exe
2. I don't appear to create a .exe that works and provides more than about 1.7gb of array storage. ( I then get stack overflow errors which are difficult to correct)

My past test examples all have a very small code component but even my larger programs don't have more than about 0.1gb of code. If the array/data component is limited to less than 2.0gb, I am unlikely to be able to use more than about 2.1gb of memory, if this is the case.

Hence my request for an example which overcomes either of these problems, as I am not correctly combining my code and slink in an effective manner.

Can you (or anyone else) help with a working example ?

regards John

PS. I did also try the use of VC, which (I think I recall) placed the offset address for the start of VC at about 1gb. To use more memory, the VC address needed to be moved, but again I could not see a way of achieving this. If the 3gb switch is used, SLINK should automatically do this. VC also suffered from stack overflow, which again I could not correct.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that 1.7GB is the most that you can get at the moment.
We are currently working on this issue with the aim of maximising what you can get. If you use the /3GB switch in your boot.ini then you should get more memory but at the moment not as much as we would like or expect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: