forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Launching Plato3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Lovette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Launching Plato3 Reply with quote

I recently obtained (late Dec 2007) and installed a copy of FTN95. When I attempt to launch Plato3 I got the message that Plato3 had caused an error in Plato3.exe. I tried downloading and installing a new copy of FTN95 but ended with the same problem. I have windows ME Evil or Very Mad. My review of the support issues shows that this problem was reported Feb 18, 2007 but I could not find mention of a solution to the problem at that time. Indeed, the user appears to have abandoned ME for Vista as the solution to the Plato3 problem. Has a solution been found to the Plato3/ME problem?

With regards
Alan
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guess what is going wrong.

Plato3 requires that enhanced menus be switched off for Windows 98 and I guess Windows ME.

There is code in Plato3 to do this automatically but it looks like the check is taking place too late in more recent versions.

I can fix this for the next release of Plato3.

A work-around is to set the appropriate flag in Plato3.ini. If this file has already been created it will usually be in the same folder as Plato3.exe. Otherwise you can create it as a plain text file.

Having found this file, add the following line to the [Settings] section:

NewMenuStyle=0

If the ini file did not exist then create it with the content:

[Settings]
NewMenuStyle=0
Alan Lovette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the Plato3.ini file but got the same error when launching Plato3 IDE. Oddly the error message occurs immediately but my cursor indicates that the program is closing down for a period of 2 or 3 seconds. I don't know whether this helps. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Alan
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot think of anything else.
Do you have to stick with Windows ME?
Alan Lovette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will have to move to XP or Vista and a more powerful machine. Thanks for your efforts, I'll let you know how I get on after the upgrade.

Regards
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that you can upgrade to Windows XP without changing your computer.
Alan Lovette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I could probably do it but in the end I have a six year (I think) old laptop that upgraded to the hardware limit would struggle to run either XP or Vista and any moderately demanding application. In the end I'll have to catch up to the times!
Alan Lovette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Problem loading Plato solved Reply with quote

I have just obtained Tecra A9 with Windows Vista Business which I suspect is equivalent to professionl in Windows 2000 and XP. In any case, Plato runs great! Of course, the big problem now is learning how to use it but I have already noticed that the Help in Plato is excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: