forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sdbg "problems"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: sdbg "problems" Reply with quote

I have 2 suggestions/comments/questions/problems with sdbg (possibly only when launched from within plato, haven't tried the other ways).

If there is a breakpoint set in the code prior to hitting the "green arrow", the program automatically runs to that breakpoint. That is, IMHO, a bug. It should still stop at the first executable statement. An obvious workaround is for the user to ensure there is also a breakpoint at the first executable statement, but it's easy to forget to do that.

If one has chosen to plot an array in the debugger, the debugger can not be exited until the plot window is closed. That's also, IMHO, a bug.

This is with plato v3.50. Not sure what version of sdbg, but it's almost certainly the one that came with that version of plato.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behaviour you describe is the way most systems work. If you want to step first then you would normally press 'step' rather than 'run'.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

No other system I've ever used behaves that way when invoking the debugger.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set a break point in Plato by clicking in the margin whilst holding down the shift and control keys.
Then you can "step into" the code to get the the first executable statement.
Then you click on the "Run" button.
It all seems reasonable to me.

After plotting an array in SDBG, you cannot progress until closing the plot view, either to continue stepping or running etc.
Again this does not seem to me to be an unreasonable limitation.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
You can set a break point in Plato by clicking in the margin whilst holding down the shift and control keys.
Then you can "step into" the code to get the the first executable statement.
Then you click on the "Run" button.
It all seems reasonable to me.

OK, I'll buy that argument, even though as stated before, this is the first system I've used where "run" behaves differently depending on whether a breakpoint is set or not.

Quote:
After plotting an array in SDBG, you cannot progress until closing the plot view, either to continue stepping or running etc.
Again this does not seem to me to be an unreasonable limitation.

it seems *very* unreasonable to me, but then again, while I really like the ability to plot arrays while in the debugger, there are things that bug me more about plot than the fact that if there's a plot window up, there's not a whole lot more that can be done. What I'd like to see most in the way of "plot" is the ability to plot a subset of an array.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: