forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plato will not display line #10,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drp123456

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Plato will not display line #10,000 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a need to write a fortran program longer than 9999 lines. When attempting to add line 10,000 the line numbers change to a repeating series of 0 through 9 numberings. If the lines beyond 9999 are then deleted the normal numbering returns. I am using the personal free edition of Plato on a fully updated Win 10 pro platform. The issue occurs on the latest edition of Plato 5.6.0.0. I have reproduced it with the Plato32 and Plato ide's provided in the download. Several of my math colleagues that also use Plato have reproduced the issue as well. I also have found that it is possible to compile and build a program with more than 9999 lines of code. And that checkmate can still report errors or warnings that occur beyond line 9999. I have spoken with a silverfrost representative about it too and they do not know what is the causing the issue. They suggested posting about it here in the support forum. They also could not reproduce the issue on their version of Plato and sent me a screenshot that showed a line 10,000. But they also indicated that the personal free version should not have this limitation. Please advise if anyone has any thoughts about how to troubleshoot this phenomenon. I have screenshots of what I am experiencing with Plato. The first compiles and shows up to line 9999. And the second compiles and shows the repeating sequences of 0-9's. I saw on here that I can only show images using a link to a public site. I do not have an easy way to do that. So if possible can I send them to support via email? Best regards.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try multiple files !

I find it much easier to develop/debug with many files, where routines are related to a specific part of the project

I write large Fortran code, by dividing up the code into files of routines that address a specific problem; routines that are related.

If in the end, you want all routines in 1 file (for some debugging features, such as cross-checking routine argument lists), you can create a file that references all files :
Code:
include file_1.f90
include file_2.f90
include file_nnn.f90

I must admit, in my years of developing Fortran code, I would never have approached 9,999 lines in a single file. I checked two main projects I work on: 2,000 lines is the largest .f90 file I have.
We all have different approaches to developing bug free code !

Do you use "implicit none" ?

Last edited by JohnCampbell on Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drp123456

The personal edition of Plato is a full version without any limitations.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue. If it is caused by the line numbering then you could switch the numbering off. To do this go to the Settings dialog (from the main Tools menu), select Text Editor, then General. "Show line numbers" is the second item.

The best work-around is to separate your subprograms into multiple files. You could create a Plato "project" for this purpose or alternatively write your own link script.

Failing that, you could use INCLUDE statements as a means of separating your code into more than one file.
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to a screenshot of Plato showing lines below and above line 10000

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c86c6oxt6c1bwsvdsuhph/plato9.jpg?rlkey=xfhcj141xqmnc0diybgo3tttx&dl=0

"drp123456" wrote:
Quote:
I saw on here that I can only show images using a link to a public site. I do not have an easy way to do that. So if possible can I send them to support via email?

That is not a claim that I can believe. There are many sites, some that require an account, free or for a fee, and others that do not even need an account, where you can upload a file and obtain a link that you can post here.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that I have seen a screenshot of this happening. It is very strange almost as if the 10000 is truncated to the last digit.

https://postimg.cc/QKBTFfMc
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see that happening until, by chance, I used the mouse wheel to scroll down with the CRTL key pressed, in an attempt to resize the characters displayed.

Once I did that, the line number column displayed 2-1/2 characters. Normal display of line numbers was recovered only after quitting and restarting Plato.

Nor is the odd behaviour seen only with files containing over 9999 lines. I can see it with a file containing just 110 lines. Just try such a file, using CTRL+mouse-wheel-scroll-down. After doing so, I see only two digit line numbers.

Plato32 behaves in the same way.
drp123456

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I set up a free dropbox so I could share the images I spoke about in my original query.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rkylcpxz5lqul7y69u45r/Silverfrost-Forum-1.JPG?rlkey=y264l82qv8fgac4372i37ngt0&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gid968v9dvy1bjqqycx53/Silverfrost-Forum-2.JPG?rlkey=rd6rstreu9p78od50puv4sasq&dl=0

I also wanted to ask those of you that are able to have line numbering beyond 9999. What operating systems and versions of Plato that you are using? I have only had the opportunity to check on win 10 with latest free version of Plato.

Best reagards.
drp123456

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also wanted to reply to John Campbell's inquiry. Yes I do use "implicit none" with 64bit, free form fortran files.

Best regards.
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that what is causing the problem is in making space at the left border for the number of digits needed to be displayed.

If you look at the bottom corner of your second linked image, you can see that the line number is four digits long.

I think that the internally stored line number information is correct, so that if you ask for "go to line nnnnn" you will be taken to that line, but the line number displayed at the left margin may be truncated.
drp123456

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the insight. Is there a way in options/settings or the program's properties to increase that width aspect of Plato?

Best regards.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drp123456

There is no way to change the properties for the line numbering.

I will take a look at the effect of Ctrl + mouse wheel on the numbering.

In the meantime you will need to adopt one of the work-arounds already recommended.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@drp123456

I attempted to create a file with over 10,000 comment lines, but could not generate your problem.

I can not reproduce your screendump forum-2 format.

I also note that this is a dump of a different window type for Plato, than the dump from Mecej4
The active file name is not reported in the caption line ?

Can you explain these differences ?

I did find another fixed format version of mirkdc.f of 7670 lines at https://www.netlib.org/ode/mirkdc.f, which compiled with no errors.
drp123456

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

What I have shown in my dropbox images is what Plato looks like when downloaded to a computer with Win 10 and also now Win 11 operating system in the US. And also when you try writing beyond line 9999 at least for me and several of my colleagues. I updated the file from what I did with Robert to show that it can still compile. Others too on the forum and that I do not know personally have said that they have not been able to reproduce the issue either, so maybe you are using a different version of Plato and or operating system. Also I tried the link to your file and it does not work. I am able to compile more than 22,000 lines of code and output successfully, so I can deal with the issue even if there can be no fix. A representative from Silverfrost is welcome to remote to my computer if they want to check it first hand.

Best regards.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drp123456

I can reproduce the images that you have posted by using Ctrl+mouse-wheel.

As the font size is increased, the width of the margin is not being calculated correctly so that leading digits of the line number are not visible on the left hand edge of the window.

I have fixed this bug for the next release of Plato.

If you are getting this fault without using Ctrl+mouse-wheel then it is possible that your mouse is configured in a different way with the result that some other mouse action is the same as Ctrl+mouse-wheel.

The current line number is shown in the status bar at foot of the window and the simplest temporary fix is for you to switch off line numbering.
drp123456

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I was just writing to Robert about what I found. It is the font size and typeset! Plato is set to "Courier New" and 18 at least for my colleagues and I. When I changed the font to less than 17 with that typeset it shows the line numbers correctly. "Courier" and 18 also works. I got the idea to check based on your earlier posting. So my issue is resolved at this time. I attached links to screenshots depicting what I found.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dp0qgcds5ym4mpbyr9swq/Silverfrost-Forum-3.JPG?rlkey=mmzvusw1i6os7weask53hba1r&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sfjjk65f0br40lqqhtxxo/Silverfrost-Forum-4.JPG?rlkey=mc8oitffg8eayhkabbz1k4ery&dl=0

Thank you and best regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: