forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comparing required time for linking 32 and 64-bit programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: comparing required time for linking 32 and 64-bit programs Reply with quote

Required time for the linking of 64-Bit programs is considerably longer than the 32-Bit alternatives. I did a benchmark to compare the linking time of these two versions on two of our programs (with the same compiler config). The slink is 10-50X faster than the slink64. Is there an explanation for this noticeable difference? Is there a way to link 64-bit programs faster?
mecej4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not observed such a large difference in speed between the 32 and 64 bit linkers of Silverfrost Fortran (SLINK and SLINK64). Just now, I timed the building of the 32 and 64-bit DLLs of the SLATEC library (please see https://gitlab.com/silverfrost/slatec ), which involves linking about 1800 OBJ files. The two builds took about the same time on Windows 11 (3.87 seconds). A repeat of the link reduced the linking time to 1.97 seconds, possibly because of caching of the DLLs and other objects.

Please provide more details regarding the number and sizes of the objects that you are linking.

Last edited by mecej4 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, i do not see any noticeable differences, something wrong is somewhere else.

(i have the log of compilation times since 1999 when i wrote the Clearwin program which tells in nice looking format what was the compilation time. It was written to chose and adjust computer hardware -- and chose the compilers and compilation strategy of course -- because compilation is one of my substantial sources of time loss. Slow compilation when you search for an error is extremely nerve breaking. I compiled up to 50 seconds 25 years ago, while now typically 7-9 seconds, and when do specific subprogram then 1-2 seconds)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moji

There are no options for speeding up the SLINK64 link time.

As this appears to be the first report of slow linking times we can assume that there is something unusual in your project.

If you are able to zip up and send us your project code then we may be able to investigate the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: