forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to add to Project 100 files in one-two clicks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: How to add to Project 100 files in one-two clicks? Reply with quote

instead of doing that 100 times via menu?

Not clear also if Plato will distinguish fixed/free automatically not based on the extensions for/f90 because their extensions are arbitrary
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Open file (say) on the main toolbar and select multiple files in one go.

The same is true for a project when you right click in the Project Explorer window and select "Add existing items".

If the required files are in your project folder then you can use "Add files of type" when right clicking in the Project Explorer window.

Plato can be configured in order to set a file type as fixed or free Fortan format. Go to the Settings dialog on the main Tools menu. Select Text Editor and then Language settings. Finally select Free format Fortran and you will see ".f90;.f95;.inc". This can be changed. The same for Fixed format Fortran.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
I can not add Include and Resource files via Project Explorer, there is no right mouse click option menu for that...

And setting free or fixed format would look easier if there was an right click option in Project explorer when you can click on file and change that. File Property is good place for that

Text editor also seems is choosing files format free or fixed only based on extensions which does not recognize possible arbitrary extension naming. For example i have ***.FOR files some with free and some fixed formatting. Changing that to call all free format files F90 or F95 and fixed ones F and FOR will break Command prompt compilation files and will add total disarray in the 40 years of history of backups. Does the rule of Standard requiring strict naming for fixed and free formatting based on file extensions ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Include and Resource files are added by Plato not the user.

If a particular file has a fixed/free format and file extension that does not match the default for Plato (or what you have configured Plato to use) then you can add /free or /fixed to the command line for that file...

From the Project Explorer window, select the file in question, right click and select Properties. Choose to Append or Override and add /free or /fixed to the edit box.

Alternatively you can add an OPTIONS directive or comment embedded directive to the code...

Code:
OPTIONS(FREE)
!FTN95$OPTIONS(FREE)
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, will play with this further, may be i will get the logic behind such design. So far things go tight as if i am not compatible with the Plato. Little bit less not compatible than 10 years ago or 20 years ago when it was totally unusable for me. But still it is kind of perpendicular to the expectations.

For example why these changes and fixes do not fix this strange coloring after adding these /free to *.for files which are actually *.f90 files as if Plato still thinks this is fixed format file ? Or it does not understand what tab=8 means? I changed default TAB from 4 to 8 but this had no effect. Same strange coloring takes place with the fixed format with tab=8. Not a single coloring editor behaves this way and still not a single user objected?

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using OPTIONS(free) will not fix the syntax colouring.

If all of your .for files are free format then you should change the default Plato association as I described above.

The tab settings are configured from the Settings dialog under Text Editor and Lanuage settings.

Plato has many thousands of users and I think that you are probably the first to complain. Plato is provided as an aid but it does not suit everybody. Visual Studio is one alternative.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's exactly what i'm repeating telling here for decades: when i come to try any new feature of this compiler, my impression is like i am coming to be the first on this virgin moon surface full of hidden devilry bugs and small problems never touched and reported by others. Where are users of SDBG? Who else using OpenGL and graphics? Just Eddie and me were using Clearwin and even Eddie is not using property sheet, the major thing for the codes to be really usable. Pretty often happens also that the developers leave things not exactly finished, debugged and perfected. It took a dozen years after introduction for the FTN95 to become free of major bugs and behave stable for example. Here is a lot to improve in Plato because it is still anti-intuitive and not exactly convenient and no one suggesting anything because it is a human nature to procrastinate and wait that somebody else will do that for them.

Impression always is that either there was almost no users who saw this or that feature or the users barely touched them and immediately left or they are too shy to report anything. When the compiler openly tells in its name FTN95 that it is using Fortran95, a last century standards, this over time automatically selects specific category of users with the experience mostly in legacy codes who do not need any modern features of Fortran or even know nothing about Fortran. There are also few pros who do not care to report the bugs and problems as they will immediately switch to other compilers if this one fails. Lately some of them use FTN95 as a pre-compiler for other compilers (like a second opinion to spot the bug in older codes) or as a GUI. If company actively ask them, they would probably shared more often their suggestions for possible improvements.

Also probable reason why no one reporting anything is that not many users have large codes running on FTN95, it is not the fastest for that and has no standard parallel capabilities or modern features lately. But based on how quickly all other compilers over-jumped FTN95 gives the hope that if FTN95 will find additional time and resources to fix that missing pretty standard stuff it will also catch other similarly quickly. Then with its other unique features this compiler could be a bomb, it always had genes to stand out of competition. Plato for example can beat even VS in simplicity and usability easily, it just needs to fix some minor problems, mostly its inconveniences. And solve couple larger ones - like to introduce debugging MPI/OpenMP threads and move finally to Linux where all others are present long ago. Windows is almost dead, anyway. All now write billions of apps for the phones, tablets and supercomputers which all are on Linux. Intel for example already neglected its profit from Windows Fortran giving it for free because the licensing payments from supercomputers are much more profitable. Plato for Linux with its debugger would be a hit in supercomputers, they still debug their programs ancient way

I see this exact issue with TABs was discussed in Jun 21 2012 and Feb 6 2018. Tried to use introduced in 2018 after our discussion feature /TABS but it does not work.

Anyway may be this is possible to do somehow but after hours trying i find no any way to change the buggy coloring of 6th column for fixed format files not even mentioning about convenient way to change the TAB size of specific file or all *.for files just by right clicking on the file. Number spaces may be changing, yes, but the bad coloring does not care: I see no changes to the wrong coloring of 6th column in *.for files no matter what TAB is 2 or 8, 9 or in one place it can be changed to 15

What is see is totally counterintuitive: coloring bug disappears if fixed form file with extension *.for is renamed to *.f90/f95. Why anyone would chose to do that? This time not only the editor, the compiler will be confused.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way i just remembered that exactly 25 years ago i wrote the letter to the developers of this compiler suggesting to create the version for supercomputers and promising that compared to all other existing at that time compilers we used (this was one major national lab) it will be way the best. I barely knew English at that time. Do you guys keep your mail archives ?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Perhaps you could change the suffix of free format Fortran files from .for to .f90.
This is the general convention for identifying free format introduced in the F90 standard.

There can be an assumption that either .f90 implies free format
or .f90 implies Fortran 90 features and .f03 implies Fortran 2003 features.

Either way, .f90 is generally accepted as free format syntax, while .for is generally accepted as fixed format syntax.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Who knows how many different extensions will be in the future, perhaps besides F, FOR, F90, F95, F03 there will be F08, F18... And may be F25 will have not 132 but unlimited number of characters. Let users to choose their own names and extensions but the software either to detect that automatically or to allow users to set that quickly. Just the right click on a file or its Tab and set "Treat this file as free format" or "Treat the file as fixed format" would already solve 99% of this problem.

I'd encourage you to send your suggestions for improvements more often, they are sometimes very insightful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: