forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusing error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Confusing error Reply with quote

When I try compiling on the new laptop, I get the following error. I do not get this on the desktop. I use the same files for both compilation environments.

Quote:
SCC.EXE ".\KML_COORDINATES\KML_COORDINATE.cpp" /List /DEFINE CMASTER /NO_BANNER /DELETE_OBJ_ON_ERROR /ERROR_NUMBERS /UNLIMITED_ERRORS /SILENT /BINARY "f:\CMASTERF95\RELEASE\WIN32\KML_COORDINATE.obj"
[Silverfrost SCC/WIN32 Ver 4.60 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 2022]
*** More than one source file specified
1 ERRORS [<> SCC/WIN32 Ver 4.60]
*** Compilation failed

Any ideas?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any obvious error.

Try adding the command line options one at a time.

Does the subfolder KML_COORDINATES exist and does it contain KML_COORDINATE.cpp?
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all exists. From the MAKE file, this doesn't work. But of I copy the line as expanded, then paste it into a command window, it works fine.
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also checked to make sure there are no additional characters at the end of the line in the make file.
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using MAKE from GNUWin32, running the laptop under Windows 11 Home.
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something different about how Windows 11 and MAKE interact, versus Windows 10 (and earlier) and MAKE.

In Windows 11, it appears that while the displayed command is correct when output by MAKE to the screen, when that line is passed to cmd.exe from MAKE, all of the backslashes have been removed.

I was able to capture a command that should have worked, but reported a file it could not find. On screen, the file was perfectly formed. But the error report had no backslashes present. Copy/paste the command from the screen and run it, and it works just as expected.

Not sure what option in MAKE will preserve backslashes, or what CMD option has to be present to insure proper interpretation.

Bill
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is what worked for me.

In all file names, there now exists the pattern '\\' that separates the folders/file. So, "c:\abcd\defg.txt" now would read "c:\\abcd\\defg.txt".

FTN95 does not seem to have a problem with this syntax, but SCC appears to definitely have an issue. Also, WIN11 seems to be picky about the use of double-quotes around a file name (regardless of syntax), while win 10 appears to be insensitive.

However, for any DOS kinds of commands that reference a path as an argument in the MAKE file, the "subst" function must be invoked. So, the file name above would be made "digestible" by the syntax $(subst \\,\,c:\\abcd\\defg.txt).
wahorger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, scratch all that. Embarrassing, but mostly frustrating.

There was a space in the path name to the make.exe program.

That was it. I had read some on-line posts about this as a problem for other make.exe programs. But not for make.exe from GNUWin32. Not specifically, at least. Having worked on modifying my MAKEFILE to run on both systems (Win10 and Win11) and failing miserably, I was at my wits end.

Now that that is fixed, the make file runs great and rebuilds the software fully.

Point of interest: Under Win10, there IS a space in the path name to the make program. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: