forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icon for program is no longer "working"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Icon for program is no longer "working" Reply with quote

For a couple of years now, my resource section of my main program has:

Quote:
proj_icon icon Z:\CMASTERF95\cjd_CMASTER.ico

I have added additional icons AFTER the proj_icon. Now, that association is no longer working, and I am getting my CAUTION icon as the Program main icon.

I have tried adding the proj_icon to the WINAPP statement in the main program, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

P.S. My complete resource section reads:
Code:

proj_icon   icon   Z:\CMASTERF95\cjd_CMASTER.ico
   win_icon   icon   z:\CMASTERF95\cjd_icon.ico
   cjdbitmap   bitmap   z:\cmasterf95\cjd_color_splash_small.bmp
   redsquare   bitmap   z:\cmasterf95\red16x.bmp
   greensquare   bitmap   z:\cmasterf95\green16check.bmp
   cjdwp      bitmap   "z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\cjd_color_splashbw.bmp"
        litho_seam icon "Z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\litho_caution.ico"
        litho_coded icon "Z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\litho_warning.ICO"
   litho_undef icon "Z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\STRIPE_Y_R.ICO"
        litho_negative icon "Z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\error2.ICO" !"Z:\\CMASTERF95\\BMP and Icons\\red.ICO"
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why this has happened. I would normally expect the Windows environment to use the first icon in the list (as the "application" icon) but maybe it has to be the first in lexicographic or numerical order.

Using %mi might make a difference.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Windows is using the first icon of something like the correct size and colour depth as the program icon, and applying the same logic everywhere else, like in start menu, taskbar etc.

I've been using icofx3, and for 'Windows icon' it gives me a set of icon sizes and colour depths, not a single icon. Because I've had better things to do I haven't looked into the issue deeply, but it is my experience that if you have a single icon that runs OK as the desktop icon, it probably won't be scaled for the start menu (as just one example), and Windows will pick another icon from the program, which may be something intended for a rather different purpose.

Bill, it's Windows, not you!

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a bogus icon named a00000000, so we'll see if it is lexically choosing the icon from the list of icons.

I use %mi, but that doesn't change the icon as displayed on the taskbar, nor the shortcuts.

Windows is a PITA when it comes to "refreshing" the desktop randomly and changing the icons on its own. So, Eddie, you are correct!

BTW, I use only single size icons in my resource list. The original reason was that I was too lazy to create special ones, sized differently. But then, I used one with multiple sizes and color depth. It chose, for the %lv, the worst looking on possible for the smaller size. So, I forced the issue. While the icons are 32x32 (typically), the %lv is using a 16x16. "It" picked the 16 color version. Yuck.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Did you ever find a solution?

I have returned to the issue after a long break and still don't know the solution.

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution worked. The a0000000 needed to be the first icon in the list, but it works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: