forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$ suffix in FTN75 version 8.90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: $ suffix in FTN75 version 8.90 Reply with quote

I have been using the $ suffixes on the various FTN95 extensions rather than the @ suffixes because it saves having to maintain separate versions when I am trying to use ClearWin+ in a different compiler. However, when I compile with version 8.90, I get a message indicating that these routines with $ suffixes are unavailable. I do not recall having to do anything deliberate for FTN95, and definitely did not when I installed versions 8.83 and 8.84. Am I forgetting an important step?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using v8.90 the $ alternative can be handled as follows.

1) Source code for the clrwin$ module is located in Silverfrost\FTN95\source64\clrwin.f95.
2) In a Plato project, clrwin.f95 can be imported (i.e. copied) into the project by right clicking on "Source Files" in the Project Explorer window and selecting "Import items".
3) In Plato, select the x64 platform and then press Alt+X. Click on Settings and then on Help to find instructions on how to set up gFortran and/or iFort.
4) Choose FTN95 or gFortran or iFort from the Alt+X dialog.
5) Other Silverfrost standard modules can be imported in the same way.
6) When creating a new project, Plato now has the option to create an "ISO ClearWin+ app". This automatically imports the $ module and provides options to add sample ClearWin+ code.
7) Pressing Alt+W generates a popup menu for adding components to a ClearWin+ window.

YouTube videos on this subject are planned for the near future.
simon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, for these detailed instructions. I found the Help page on "Using ClearWin+ with third party Fortran compilers" useful also.

My understanding from your response, is that if I want to use the $ suffixes instead of @ when compiling with FTN95 I do need to compile the files in Silverfrost\FTN95\source64 somehow. The instructions indicate that these files need to be copied into a local directory. If I do that and try compiling them with FTN95 (whether within Plato or from a command prompt) I get an error message about writing permissions for the .MOD file in Silverfrost\FTN95\source64 even though I am trying to compile the local copies. I tried setting MOD_PATH (although I think that is only meant for searching for module files, and not for setting the output directory), but it did not help.

I have never actually been able to get ClearWin+ working properly in a different compiler. But I'll continue working on that, and will seek assistance in a separate post if needed ...
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I copied C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95\source64\clrwin.f95 to C:\temp, changed directory to C:\temp and then typed "FTN95 clrwin.f95 /64".

There was no problem.
simon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thanks for checking. That is exactly what I have done, but I still get the error message:

*** Failed to create MOD file c:\program files (x86)\silverfrost\ftn95\include\ABSTRACT_CB$.MOD64. (Access is denied.)

For some unknown reason the MOD file is being created where Silverfrost is installed rather than in C:\temp. Unless, possibly, the MOD file is being created in the same place on your machine but you do not have access issues? Maybe I can try to force write permission there ... Yes, if I run as administrator that works, except that there are no MOD files either in TEMP or in the Silverfrost directory. The OBJ files are in TEMP.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I will need to check this out. I can issue the command but the mod64 file is not created.

It works if I add /DOLLAR but this option may not be available to you.
simon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, /DOLLAR does not appear to be available:

*** /DOLLAR is not a valid option on the command line - use FTN95 /? for valid options

I cannot find it anywhere in the help pages. Does it work from within Plato?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I will send you a personal message with a link to a new FTN95.

This will give you access to /DOLLAR_MOD.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

Can you let me know if this works for you now.

If it does then it may be simplest and best to have FTN95 set /DOLLAR_MOD as true by default.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that a new feature in FTN95 v8.90 ought to allow users to compile modules located in Silverfrotst\FTN95\Source64. Unfortunately module names that end with the dollar symbol ($) will not compile unless the option /DOLLAR_MOD is applied and this option is not accessible to users in v8.90.

This bug is fixed in v8.91 which is available to supported users on request.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: