forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting with Plato
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alangr

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

Further to my queries earlier, I now have updated ftn95 to the current version and am using it without issue. I have also therefore an updated version of Plato which I am now using and have a query.

My project has files (routines) that require an ‘include’ file. I did not copy this file to the list of project files (all were .for files) but the compiled/linked program still ran as expected. I have not managed to find and gain access to the ‘include’ file from within the project in order to edit it – nor does it appear under the \project\source files\include files in the Plato window. How is such access managed to allow editing?

Thaks

Alan
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The environment variable F95INCLUDE, if it exists set to a valid path, is searched along with any arguments specified to the compiler with the /INCLUDE option, for include files.

You may be content that the compiler is finding an include file that you do not quite know the location of, but beware that if you have two versions of the include file in different places, the one that the compiler reads may not be the one that you just recently edited!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alangr

Plato automatically lists "include" files in the Explorer window but these are files that have the extension .inc or .ins depending on whether you are using fixed or free format Fortran.

These and other included files can be viewed by right clicking on the file name in an INCLUDE statement in the main source file and selecting Open from the popup menu.

File dependency checking for a project "build" operation may only work for .ins and .inc files. I would have to check this.
alangr

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your comments.

At present my include files have the .CB extension and it would seem sensible to amend these to .ins at some point. But for the moment at least I know how to access the include files and then “rebuild” after editing to be sure all is well.
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to state the full name of an include file in an INCLUDE directive in your Fortran source code, whether such an included file has no extension, ".inc", ".ins" or other extensions such as your ".CB".

Therefore, from the point of view of the compiler, which extension you use is of little consequence.

However, an IDE such as Plato or Visual Studio may follow different conventions regarding file extensions that signify that the contents of such a file are meant to be merged into another file rather than being used separately.
alangr

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this comment. I can see that the actual file extension is not a vital matter for compilation /linking.

I am grateful for your help and pleased to be using Plato.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: