forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outbreak of private message weirdness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Outbreak of private message weirdness Reply with quote

This seems like the most appropriate place to raise this issue ... With reference to this current topic:

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=864

on the Support forum, when I logged in tonight to check if there had been any new postings, I found that I had 13 Shocked private messages from Klaus, all sent in the space of about 15 minutes between 16:00 and 16:30 on 5 September, and all (at a cursory glance) identical copies of one of his postings to the forum. Yesterday I had 3 PMs from him, again all identical copies of an earlier posting of his. My inbox is 32% full as a result!

It seems unlikely to say the least that Klaus is doing this intentionally.

Please can anyone hazard a guess as to what is going on here? Does some species of malware seem likely?

Andy
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? The forum has timeouts to stop repeated postings. Were the messages evenly spread or bunched up?
sparge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distinctly bunched:
    Sep 4, 3 "copies" between 5:08 and 5:11
    Sep 5, 13 "copies" between 4:11 and 4:26

Two singletons on Sep 6, which don't count because they were two separate topics.

Klaus did say in one of his postings that he had got error messages when he tried to PM me. I could understand getting two or three copies because of this, if the error messages were "false" - try two or three times before giving up, and actually something is getting through each time - but 13!?

Actually, now I come to think of it, I got an error message when I tried to PM Administrator a few days ago - I figured maybe it just indicated it wasn't permitted to do that ...

I wonder if there is an issue here that isn't seen much because not much use is made of the PM facility? I had only ever had two, I think, until a few days ago. It never occurs to me to check for them.

Andy
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 messages do seem very odd. Interestingly the administrator account has no Private Messages.
sparge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well it should have one now. I just tried to send another one, the same way as last time, and it has apparently been sent. I was hoping to get the same error message as last time (which I can't remember except it included the word "debug"). I think I'll try again from time to time and see what happens.

All the messages I got from Klaus are still in my inbox if examining them might help.
KL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Repeated Message Reply with quote

I am sorry that I caused such problems. On that day (and as far as I remember also on the next day) I could not post a message. The system returned something like that the message could not be sent.
Klaus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: