forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphics font styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Graphics font styles Reply with quote

In the following program, the text should be written initially in black, and then be overwritten in red (so that nothing of the black is seen. That happens if the two lines calling ITALIC_FONT@ are commented out.

Code:
      OPTIONS (INTL, DREAL)
      PROGRAM DEMO
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      INTEGER, EXTERNAL:: KB_DRAW
      IW = WINIO@ ('%ca[Demo]%gr%sc', 300, 100, KB_DRAW)
      END

INTEGER FUNCTION KB_DRAW()
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      CHARACTER*(100) VALUE

VALUE = 'Spencer, E (1967) A method of analysis'
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 10, RGB@(0,0,0))
      VALUE = 'of the stability of embankments'
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 25, RGB@(0,0,0))
      VALUE = 'assuming parallel inter-slice forces'
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 40, RGB@(0,0,0))
      VALUE = 'Geotechnique, 17, 11-26'
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 55, RGB@(0,0,0))

CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 10, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 25, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 40, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL ITALIC_FONT@ (1)
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 55, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL ITALIC_FONT@ (0)

CALL PERFORM_GRAPHICS_UPDATE@ ()
      KB_DRAW = 2
      END

However, with the lines left in, the final line is displaced one line upwards. Something similar happens with BOLD_FONT@ and UNDERLINE_FONT@.

In my rather larger program (which does not overwrite) the effects are somewhat more far reaching, including wholesale displacement upwards of many text lines. The overwriting in the demo is merely to demonstrate what happens in a simple example.

Incidentally, the FTN95.CHM entry for ITALIC_FONT@ does not state what the values of the argument are.

I also noted that in FTN95.CHM the entry for HIGH_RES_CLOCK@ mentions calling DBOS, and elsewhere (I can't find it again) I came across a link that should invoke Internet Explorer - and doesn't on a modern PC.

FTN95 v8.50 used.

Eddie

(with apologies to Eric Spencer, but his paper is a time-waster!)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eddie.

I have logged this for investigation.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I hope that fixing this regression is high on your list of priorities, as it means that I can't do any development on a number of existing programs and that has wasted my self-isolation/house-arrest during a case of Covid!

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

I have now had an initial look at this.

I can't see any changes in ClearWin+ that would have an effect on this program.

The problem relates to the default font which is currently "Courier New" and it is possible that this has inadvertently been changed. I will investigate further.

The immediate fix is to set the font via a call to SELECT_FONT@ and to use a font other than "Courier New".
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Thanks for looking. It was slightly tongue in cheek, as I didn't really feel like doing anything at all while suffering ...

I only used the default setting, and if that is Courier New then that's what it is. At least the font is monospaced, so (in the real program) I was able to put the single Greek letter I wanted (gamma) into a bitmap and write that over the text string's 'g'. That turned out easier than changing fonts etc etc.

How I miss Escape code sequences to switch mid-string and back again.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

The gamma character could be handled by using UTF8 characters strings. See ENABLE_UTF8@.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

An interesting proposition, and one I would be keen to learn about - if only I knew what UTF-8 was! (Poor joke).

I rushed to FTN95.CHM, and there discovered:

Quote:
Note: A suitable font (such as Courier New) must be used in order to display UTF-8 characters.

... which rather defeated the point, I felt, given what my original problem was!

Anyway, I had the booster jab this morning, with the promise that I would feel unwell for the next couple of days, so it probably doesn't need an urgent resolution ...

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

Here is your code adapted in order to start the text with a lower-case gamma character. The file must be saved using "UTF-8 without signature" and Plato allows this under "Advanced Save Options" in the File menu.

Code:
      WINAPP
      PROGRAM DEMO
      INCLUDE <CLEARWIN.INS>
      CALL ENABLE_UTF8@(1)
      IW = WINIO@('%ca[Demo]%gr%sc', 400, 50, KB_DRAW)
      END

INCLUDE <CLEARWIN.INS>
      CHARACTER*(100) VALUE
      CALL SELECT_FONT@('Loucida Console')
      CALL SCALE_FONT@(1.2D0)
      VALUE = 'γ Spencer, E (1967) A method of analysis'
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 15, RGB@(0,0,0))
      KB_DRAW = 2
      END

I think that escape code sequences are still available in ClearWin (%cw) windows but I would have to check.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

That's great. Thanks.

I really meant escape codes in text in a %gr graphics area. Sometimes I write things where everything happens in a single %gr client area. It's because I'm hopeless at doing anything in Excel apart from simple listing and tabulating and find writing a bit of Fortran a lot less frustrating.

I still think that the odd Greek character cut from a Word document using the Symbol font and edited in Paint to form a bitmap for pasting ends up being quicker (for me) as I'm an old dog. UTF-8 would definitely be a new trick*.

Eddie

*So is Plato. Saving the file in my favourite editor, and I just get a question mark, saving the file in Plato as UTF-8, and it won't compile. Is it spelt 'Loucida' anyway?

PS There's definitely something wrong. No matter where ITALIC_FONT@ appears in the code, the origin for line spacing is shifted upwards. Sure, other fonts are nice, but they are usually not monospaced, which makes tables go all over the place. I think that I'll put italics on my 'do not use' list.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

I have had another look at this but still I don't know where the problem lies. I also suspect that my initial comments above are without foundation.

Anyway, I suggest that you simply select the font that you want to use (it is possible this was always expected). In other words call SELECT_FONT@ before DRAW_CHARACTERS@.

The following code work correctly for me:

Code:
      WINAPP
      PROGRAM DEMO
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      IW = WINIO@ ('%ca[Demo]%gr%sc', 300, 100, KB_DRAW)
      END

INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      CHARACTER*(100) VALUE
      CALL SELECT_FONT@("Courier New")
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 10, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 25, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 40, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL ITALIC_FONT@ (1)
      CALL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ (VALUE, 10, 55, RGB@(255,0,0))
      CALL ITALIC_FONT@ (0)
      KB_DRAW = 2
      END

Regarding UTF-8, you will need to use an editor that allows you to save using "UTF-8 without signature".
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for looking at it again.

I have absolutely no doubt that you are an infinitely better programmer than I am, but I'm equally certain that one day you will discover the underlying reason and it will give rise to a "Why didn't I see that before!" moment. I have them on a fairly regular basis. It has happened twice with a particular paper,, where I have only recently become aware that the assumptions in an equation are wrong, and the dimensions on a Figure are incorrectly located.

It has taken over 50 years!

Eddie

PS I though I had it working in an old program, but it wasn't italics, it was rotation. Perhaps INTALIC_FONT@ hasn't worked for a long time.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

I will keep it on my list because there is something odd here that I don't understand.

In the rush I scanned over your note about infection with Covid. I do hope that it is not serious and that you soon recover.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your concern. I did get over it - had it last month despite being double-jabbed - and had my booster yesterday. It was like a bad cold, allied with a lack of enthusiasm to do anything productive. Hence my poor taste joke about wasting time.

There is definitely something not quite right here. I have no doubt that you will fix it sometime.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

I can now confirm that the original issue on this thread is not a regression. I get the same behaviour on an old machine dated c2014.

If the font is not selected via SelectFont@ then you will get the "System" font and that will depend on the version of Windows and your personal settings.

I don't think that this is something that can be "fixed" in ClearWin+ but I will check the documentation and make sure that a call to SelectFont@ is recommended before calling DrawCharacters@.

As an aside, the old machine boots up in about 10 minutes or so. I guess it was a case of switching it on before making breakfast. Then my mind goes back to earlier days... Now with SSD drives we have no excuse for day-dreaming.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, Paul!

I wouldn't count a machine dating back to 2014 as 'old', but there we are. I was already retired for 2 years!

Anyway, it's good to know that it isn't a regression.

For some reason I have believed that the coordinates given are for the top left corner of the text string - heaven only knows why except that it seems to work - but the minute I SELECT_FONT@, the location is definitely the bottom left of the character string, so relative to not using the SELECT_FONT@ option, the text moves upwards by the corresponding amount. It therefore appears to me that the lower left location (as stated in FTN95.CHM's instructions for SELECT_FONT@) is not the case if no font is selected when a DRAW_CHARACTERS@ call is made, but begins to apply when SELECT_FONT@ or any of the font styling options is invoked.

As I have perhaps said before I read the instructions avidly, and note that FTN95.CHM's entry for "ClearWin+/Graphics/Drawing text" says nothing about how the coordinates given work to position the text, so perhaps that is where a note is needed anyway.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: