forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 fails to compile valid Fortran 77 program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: FTN95 fails to compile valid Fortran 77 program Reply with quote

The program below is valid Fortran 77 code. FTN95 considers the array B to be a function and refuses to compile the code.

Code:
      program tst
C
      EQUIVALENCE (B(4),B3), (B(5),B4)
      DIMENSION B(16)
      b(4) = 10
      b4 = 5.0
      print *,b3,b(5)
      end

Although elements of the array B appear in the equivalence statement before the declaration of B as an array, in general all the declarative statements in a program unit had to be read and processed together, given the limitations of that language (Fortran 77).

The old FTN77 compiler accepts the same code without quibbles.

A workaround is to move the DIMENSION statement up. In the bigger code where this issue arose, there are over 500 EQUIVALENCE statements in the 50,000 line program, so doing similar relocations of such lines would take quite a bit of work.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4

Thank you for the bug report which I have logged for investigation.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I am amazed at the way other people program, and discover new things all the time. I had no idea that EQUIVALENCE could come before array declarations. And as for equivalencing B3 to B(4) - well, I can imagine that would give rise to all sorts of potential problems of comprehension years down the line, or even as little as 5 minutes after you punched the darn thing on that IBM card punch! I don't envy your job of understanding what the program is supposed to do.

Eddie
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, sometimes the disorder in Fortran code is a sign of success -- different people extend an existing program to add new features, alter the way in which it works, make it more efficient, use less memory, etc.

It is natural that different people have different styles and, in the absence of a required "house style", the code starts looking rather odd after a few years. As long as the code is working, style and neatness may be given lower priority than new features and speed.

For an example, see the Digital Datcom program, available from https://www.pdas.com/datcomdownload.html .

Section 3.5, "Order of Statements and Lines", in the Fortran 77 standard, https://wg5-fortran.org/ARCHIVE/Fortran77.html , lays out some restrictions on the order of statements, but there is considerable leeway.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

I am with you on this one. I always put equivalence after declarations. Perhaps that was a rule from McCracken ?

Also, (not to include your views with this) I am amazed at the OOP examples that are published with hundreds of lines of code that do nothing.

For me coding is about defining a clearly set out data structure and then doing calculations that produce a useful result.
Some are trying to tell us that Modern Fortran should not do that.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4 & John, I wasn't saying that it was wrong to do it in a way that I wouldn't. Generally speaking, I need to understand what I wrote 5 decades ago, but even though that means that I no longer need to do things in a way that they are understandable 5 decades hence - I stick to my own set of rules.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This failure has now been fixed for the next release of FTN95.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: