forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

%pl[native] x/y label positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Scratching the head how to make a demo test when any small program runs OK and only large programs crash I found very good relatively known demo example, probably best of all: polyhedron dot com benchmarks.

You know, but many newcomers may not, that these benchmarks were made in 90th and everyone use them to optimize compiler run time speed. I remember well how these tests were selected and discussed on comp.lang.fortran at that time. I remember also how program calculating pi number was much fastest on FTN95 than any other Fortran. But then all other developers started to pay attention and optimized their compilers, specifically Intel and Absoft

FTN95 gas_dyn2.f90 /link /debug /64

When debugged this program immediately crashes the debugger. Same with mdbx.f90
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

For me gas_dyn2.f90 runs OK for /64 /debug. It fails for /64 /checkmate but that might be due to an error in the code.

The same is true for mdbx.f90. It runs for /64 /debug but not /64 /checkmate.

Both run OK for /checkmate (i.e. 32 bits). I will make a note to investigate the failures but I have not been able to confirm your experience when using the current FTN95 and SDBG64.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they run OK, but not debugged. Immediately crash after running via debugger

SDBG64 gas_dyn2.exe --> access violation inside debugger.

Same with all my large codes. Small demos all work OK
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more both polyhedron benchmarks and both my codes crash SDBG64 even with /nocheck /64 compilations. Robert mentioned about this that dynamic allocation was introduced for COMMON blocks. May be this is the reason?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

For me they run OK when using SDBG64 (for /64 /debug but not /64 /checkmate).
I will check which version of SDBG64 I am running. I think that it will be the same as in the latest full release.
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the MDBX and GAS_DYN2 benchmarks ran fine with FTN95 8.81 (I used /opt /64, and also /debug /64; I think it is a waste of time to attempt to use /check or /checkmate with these old codes).

One problem that you may run into is that GAS_DYN2 writes a 180 Mbyte output file. If the working directory (e.g., on a Ramdisk) does not have that much free space, you may get some strange messages (since the code does not do much checking of I/O).

The SDBG64 version that I have is 8.80.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking, Paul and Mecej4.

Tried same things (if SDBG64 crash with codes compiled "prog.f90 /64 /debug /link" ) on Intel computer with 880 + recent 881 update.

These two Polyhedron codes crash the SDBG64 debugger if just being copied from AMD computer as EXE files but don't if recompile on Intel without /checkmate. With /checkmate they still crash the debugger

My own codes still crash the SDBG64 debugger (any current or older versions of it) on both 880 and 881 update with any combination of keys. For debugging I can only use pre-880 version of compiler

Mecej4: still with /checkmate do Polyhedron codes crash the debugger or not ?

ALL. If you never tried this great thing like debugger - the way to use it just like this :
Code:
SDBG YOURPROG.EXE

Of course you have to compile with /DEBUG and(or) /CHECKMATE. Debugger is simple like AK47, every child can use it Smile (mine was using it from 2 years old, at least in games like DOOM2 where he was on 77 level at this age. AK47 i mean)
mecej4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan. here is what I find. I compile and link using:
Code:

T:\PolyBM>ftn95 /64 /checkmate mdbx.f90 /link
[FTN95/x64 Ver. 8.81.0 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 1993-2021]

If I run the resulting EXE at the command line, it runs fine. If I attempt to run the same with the SDBG64 debugger, I get:

Code:
Error: Access Violation writing address 0x00000000001B1000

000000000040127F

This is on a PC with an i7-10710U CPU, with FTN95 8.81, SDBG64 8.80, Windows 10 Home x64, 32 GB RAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: