forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIOBE index top 20: re-emergence of Fortran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: TIOBE index top 20: re-emergence of Fortran Reply with quote

"Another notable change is the re-emergence of Fortran in the index at 20th position, up from 34th spot a year ago. Fortran, which emerged from IBM in the 1950s, remains popular in scientific computing. Its highest ranking on Tiobe's index was 10th in 2002.

Fortran was the first commercial programming language ever, and is gaining popularity thanks to the massive need for (scientific) number crunching. Welcome back Fortran.

The top 20 programming languages this month were: C, Java, Python, C++, C#, Visual Basic, JavaScript, Assembly language, PHP, and SQL, Classic Visual Basic, Delphi/Object Pascal, Ruby, Go, Swift, R, Groovy, Perl, MATLAB, and Fortran."

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed Fortran almost beating MATLAB which is on 19th place ?

To surpass it we need
- perfect %pl (must be publishable quality by default)
- add surfaceplot
- add 3D plot (OpenGL)

I have surfaceplot and OpenGL implemented, they are not difficult to do

Also
- perfect run speed on Polyhedron tests
- add Wininet (sockets)
- add support of OpenMP and create examples
- add support of HDF5 + examples
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan you intrigued me with "surface plot". Is this a routine that uses "Z" data in addition to an X and Y to interpolate thicknesses at various positions?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
Yes. In simple form it is like here. Done with current %GR quarter century ago. Same can be done with %PL

in more complex like here. Bottom is 3D, top - surface plot. Essentially it is 2D plot in 3D. Both done in OpenGL. Difference in programming almost zero

I published sources demo many times here. With OpenGL the only what's left is to add numbering like in the 3D picture. I modified existing OpenGL example supplied with Silverfrost Examples without even learning OpenGL

Other examples. Surface plot at the bottom

Good to add a pie chart
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sent me these OpenGL examples to use for learning some of the ins/outs of OpenGL. Much appreciated.
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what to make of it when Assembler is in the top 20.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this programme rating mularkey seems to be based on search engine results !
not very 'scientific' imho !

assuming that most people/searches are related to bad understanding/problems running a language, the top languages are maybe mostly the most difficult to use !?!

see more here (page referenced in the main article Dan gives the link to)
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/programming-languages-definition/

maybe this explains Robert's astute comment above ?!
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assembler became popular lately because of extensive use of testing by everyone on the net. Beating competitors just by the factor of 1% immediately makes you the winner of universe and all others bite the dust.

Can the Polyhedron tests be disassembled to understand why gfortran and IVF sometimes beat by the factor of 2-5-10 and even 30?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that. Fortran jumped on 12th place.
Because it is Simplest. Fastest. Best.
And on supercomputers C and Fortran are like a king and queen.
Only utter @#$% think Fortran is dead.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

By switching from the code written in C to Fortran i got so large boost in performance that i used just the PC and did not use supercomputers for almost a year.

That was amazing year. With this and other tricks we got the code run speed up by 5 orders of magnitude. Imagine, the code which on supercomputer 1000-2000 cores ran for two weeks ending on PC in 20 minutes! When for first time i ran this code i though it quickly crashed. But then i saw full directory of data Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked

All that got me to realize one pity thing. Unfortunately it is impossible to satisfy humans. I got one task which grabbed all that extra power and even 100x more so that I recently returned to supercomputers again Sad
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one more order of magnitude compared to previous 16-core AMD 5950x...Look at this thread count. Interesting that i got 1.35 times boost in speed going from 6 memory channels to 12. So appears this indeed is important.

And i made it incredibly cheap for that kind of performances, guarantee you will not believe me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: