forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

variable format specifications?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael_Connelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: variable format specifications? Reply with quote

I am a beginner who is refreshing his memory of Fortran from a long time ago. Question: I am writing a short program to print an identity matrix where the dimension of the matrix is variable and is specified as a user input. This I can do okay. For the output I want to use a Write statement with a suitable Format statement. Something like Format(ni3) where n is a variable. However, it does not appear that Fortran allows the n to be a integer variable? I am just asking here to confirm this and that there is no work-around? The n has to be specified as an integer in the Format statement unless we are choosing 1?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fortran standard does not support (ni3) or (<n>i3) which was a dec/vax fortran extension.
The best approach is use a DO loop and write 1 row at a time.
What is a "row" and what is a "column" can be arbitrary, especially for a symmetric matrix.
The following is a mix of old and new Fortran, which may prompt your memory.
Fortran 90 introduced free format, array syntax and ALLOCATE, which were three of the best changes to old Fortran.
Code:
      program print_array
      real, allocatable :: array(:,:)
      integer :: n, i

11  write (*,*) 'give n ?'
      read (*,*) n
      if ( n<1 .or. n>22) then
        write (*,*) " can't use this n, try again "
        if ( n>=0 ) goto 11
      else
        allocate (array(n,n))
        array = 0
        do i = 1,n ; array(i,i) = 1 ; end do
        call write_array (array,n)
      end if
      end program print_array

subroutine write_array (array,n)
      integer :: n, i
      real    :: array(n,n)
      do i = 1,n
        write (*,fmt='(22f10.2)') array(i,:)
      end do
      end subroutine write_array
Michael_Connelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply with the short code example. It was very helpful and easy to understand. I am moving on to practicing subroutines next so it was also very timely.

After my original post I also tried just making n a big number in the original Format statement and, of course, it did work. Also, thanks for using the fmt format trick in your example. I encountered it in some of the documentation I came across researching my original question. I did not understand it at the time but I do now.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John C wrote:
Quote:
The fortran standard does not support (ni3)

... but it does support nfp.q ! (as in your example) ? ... or is that just because there's an extension in ftn95 ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: