forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Getting started. Reply with quote

A short video I cobbled together the other day in response to comments about fortran being archaic and useless for windows applications and plotting data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuI2u31cwk

It may help others reading this who are getting started with Clearwin+ and in particular %pl. I do seem to recall getting to grips with winio@ format codes is a bit of a challenge at the beginning.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! A very welcome contribution.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Fortran is archaic, and useless for graphics and plotting. Clearwin+, on the other hand, is what Fortran has always needed, and still does ...

Eddie
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great video. Simple and very clearly presented. Was it taken in a single shot?

Can we use this on this page: https://www.silverfrost.com/59/ftn95/videos.aspx
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, as ever you are correct. It was availability of Clearwin+ that renewed my interest in using Fortran a few years ago.

Silverfrost, yes you can link to the video which was taken in a single shot with no editing. There may be be a part two - at a later date as I really need to find things to do to relieve the boredom of our now extended Scottish lockdown.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post raises the interesting question ......
what happens when the Silverfrost 'stalwarts' (Paul & Co, that's you !) pop their clogs into the coding clouds in the sky ?
What will happen to Ftn95 then ?
Is there a plan ?
Is there a young team being 'primed' to (seamlessly ?) take over and carry on the excellent work ?

Questions, questions, questions.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this post raises the interesting question ......

Why does it raise that question?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Regardless of Robert's answer, here's mine. Should the team at SF be 'resting', 'stunned', 'pinin' for the fjords', 'shagged out after a long squawk' or whatever, before you (or I ) do, then you carry on using the last version of FTN95 until Microsoft alter Windows until it no longer runs, and then, after your last squawk or whatever, that's it.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
because most of us are not getting was in such an advanced state of any younger, and i remember being taken aback realising that Paul (the mainstay of the forum) is in such an advanced state of ... well, age (I had this image of a 40 year old dynamo !)

maybe it's just my brain over-working having got out of a prolonged stay in hospital in Nvember (COVID ? ho knows ?c ertainly not the doctors where I was!

(I'm STILL trying to work some things out))

Whateer, the question still remains ... relevant.

Eddie's suggestion is 100% valid of course, but a reassurrance that 'the show might) goon' in some form would be reassurring !
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Please get a new keyboard. One with all the letters on it. SCAN have them for under a tenner.

Sorry to hear about your hospital stay. I hope that you are fully recovered. How's the peg leg*, or am I confusing you with another John Silver?

Whatever age Paul is, he's still a dynamo.

Eddie

*Sometimes your posts look like you typed with it! It distracts from the message - and you can't blame Autocorrect.

E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: