forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

warning about tests for floating point equality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: warning about tests for floating point equality Reply with quote

I find the warnings and comments issued by FTN95 very informative and helpful, with one exception, and that is the message about comparing floating point quantities for equality (and, of course, the complementary message about inequality). Is there any way of turning this (these?) messages off selectively? I get a string of warnings against all of my IFs, and this obscures the more relevant and helpful warnings.
I usually check the denominator of any division for being zero before I do it, especially as this usually means that there is some bad data, which I can trap and deal with.
Not only that, but if, for example, I set both A and B to zero, then I expect that a test of either against zero should be .TRUE. or their difference to be zero, or the result of multiplying anything by A or B to be zero (perhaps I would accept the latter to be less reliable, although I don’t know why I would need to be less confident about this). So, for example, if I had:
A=0.0 (and this could come from a pair of READ statements)
B=0.0
IF (A .EQ. B) THEN or
IF (A .EQ. 0.0) THEN
… both IFs would be .TRUE.
Indeed, if I had written
A=0.1234
B=0.1234
I should expect
A .EQ. B to be .TRUE. and also A .EQ. 0.1234 to be .TRUE. – although admittedly, I should not expect that if I wrote:
C=0.2468/2.0
… then would A .EQ. C ? I should be prepared for this not to be assured because of the representation of numbers in the PC. Similarly, if I had READ the value for A, and specified the value for B, I might be prepared for some difference.
It did occur to me to write two LOGICAL FUNCTIONs, named EXACTLY_EQUAL (A, B) and APPROX_EQUAL (A, B, TOLERANCE), although I then need to add a declaration of type for EXACTLY_EQUAL and APPROX_EQUAL in the routines that call them. Both are a few lines long, and in the course of writing them, I did find that an arithmetic IF does not generate the annoying warning! Similarly, if I convolute the process and write:
IF (A .LT. B .OR. A .GT. B) THEN
EXACTLY_EQUAL = .FALSE.
ELSE
EXACTLY_EQUAL = .TRUE.
ENDIF
Then I don’t get the warning.
Can anyone help me to give these symbolic names a global scope - or even to produce a new operator – some of the finer points of Fortran-90 and Fortran-95 seem to have passed me by!

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use /IGNORE <n> where <n> is the warning number that you get by using /ERROR_NUMBERS.

You will find a sample program on Fortran 90 user defined operators in the Fortran 90 tutorial and Program N. The tutorial is shipped with the latest version of FTN95 can can be accessed via the Plato Help menu.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, that's very helpful. Now I understand what is in the help file - I was confused by errors, warnings and comments all having an "error number" - I thought I could only /ignore errors, not warnings, which I thought was topsy-turvy, but didn't like to say so!

Helpfully, the warning number on the test for equality AND the test for inequality is the same: No. 179

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: