forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Clear diagnostics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill and John,

I will look at all editors again to see what's changed during decade when I last time scanned all editors. Very important feature I need is to show matching IF/ELSE/ENDIF and matching DO/ENDDO. Just highlighting them is not enough, often there are 100s of Dos and ENDDOs to find where the hell are their heads and ends.

Another feature is to edit both Windows and LINUX/UNIX files without distorting UNIX files with WINDOWs style CR/LF.

Of course dual side by side windows view is a must when you simultaneously can edit two files.

I must is a pasteboard which automatically collects everything you saved before into clipboard.
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EditPad can handle both Windows and Linux style line terminations with ease! You can select which one you wish and have the preference saved for a specific file-extent if you wish. Since the "Light" version is free, you might give it a go! I love it! Does not do the Do/ENDDO, though. It's not that context sensitive!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment Plato does not show matching DO/ENDDO etc. but it does the other things including Copy/Paste, Spike (adding to the clipboard) and a clipboard ring that remembers the last 16 clips (Alt+V).
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

wahorger wrote:
EditPad can handle both Windows and Linux style line terminations with ease!

Notepad on Windows 10 now finally recognises both Windows and Linux/Unix style line terminations. It has been so annoying that this simple update took so long to be done. Unfortunately, I tried to copy notepad.exe from Win 10 to Win 8 but it did not work. It is a very simple and useful program and have found it so annoying when scanning Linux text file.

Also, have you seen the preview panel on Win 10 Explorer ? This can also be a useful additional feature, that I only recently found. (Has it been there for years ?)

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been there since Windows 7 John !
Very useful indeed.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the grounds that most Linux and Mac users are pretentious (include appropriate plural noun here), I have to be paid a lot to have anything to do with their outputs!

I use a nice little editor called PFE32 developed by a bloke at Lancaster University. Development of this little utility stopped 20 years ago, so it has a dated look and feel. Perhaps the best bit for me is the default font it uses - no, wait a minute, the 2 best bits are the font and the DOS window, or maybe 3 ...

I tried various text editors, and haven't found anything that suits me better.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the 64 bit version of Plato so that it highlights DO/ENDDO etc..

It works like the bracket highlighting. For example, when you click on a line containing DO or ENDDO you get this...

When you click on a line containing IF or ENDIF you get this...

This will be in the next release. The feature must first be enabled from the Settings dialog.

It works for DO/ENDDO, DO label/CONTINUE, IF/ENDIF, WHERE, FORALL, and SELECT CASE.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,

This looks like a great addition to Plato.

I am assuming that if I hover or click on the DO, the associated END DO will also be highlighted and underlined.
Should be a good encouragement to make a DO loop fit on a screen, so that if it is too long, then place some of the contents into a sub-routine.
( should make this and implicit none the default Very Happy )
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it works by clicking somewhere on the line. It doesn't work via a hover.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Looks like I'll be forced to move to Plato. Is there 10 slides guide or 30 seconds movie how to start?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video introduction for students here,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8vPlCPxuk.

Plato has a detailed description (with pictures!) accessible from its own menu.

Make sure that you make the "Build" toolbar visible and use it to Compile, Build etc.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

so you've implemented this very useful addition only for 64bit Plato ?

is this the thin edge of the wedge M$-style tendancy to push folk to use only
64bit ?

or is it a 'technical' limitation of the way it's implemented ?

or will the 32bit enhancement arrive later ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
With time 32bits will go into oblivion even though many or even most tasks do not need 2GB of RAM. Even all cell phones switched to 64bit OS and apps. Supporting two versions is very annoying
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

From the user's point of view it makes no difference if an application is 64 bit or 32 bits assuming that they have a 64 bit Windows OS. In other words, in this respect you won't notice any difference between using 32 bit Plato against 64 bit Plato.

From my point of view it is simpler to freeze the 32 bit version and limit the development to the 64 bit version.

On the plus side, 64 bit Plato provides direct access to the code for SDBG64 and this is not feasible from 32 bit Plato. This means that 64 bit Plato can do the debugging of your code directly without launching an independent SDBG64.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: