forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SDBG64: Can not cancel previously set breakpoint on variable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: SDBG64: Can not cancel previously set breakpoint on variable Reply with quote

If you set Use or Write Breakpoint on Variable you can not undo this action (by Canceling All Breakpoints or any other way) and the only outcome from this is to restart the debugger and start over again.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put it on my list.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Using the chance - i hope these problems confirmed by others are also in the pipeline:

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=4007&highlight=sdbg64

Will add to that also that SDBG64 still missing existed in previous SDBG list of open read/write units and files

And when time allows i will prepare the demo of the nasty bug for both SDBG and SDBG64 which does not appear when debug small programs when after using F6 or F7 (continue run, or run one step) the menu starts to popup messing the debugging process. Could be that this one is just my bewitched programs' feature
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course this bug is yelling to be fixed: sometimes you can not push the SDBG64 to stop on the line you want. Here is an almost an ultimate example: the only place to land the debugger is highlighted by the dot by debugger itself, heck knows why it is missing all other valid executable lines. That is what i call "devilry"

Unfortunately people do not often use advanced tools like SDBG, and if use do not report the bugs waiting someone else will do that for them.

This is another devilry of giant scale. I totally lost my trust in humanity after finding that couple obvious bugs in Microsoft's own Notepad (i call it Notebad) where not fixed for almost four decades. This simple editor was used gazilion times by billion people. Try to open in Notepad this line for example
Code:
 write(222,'(a,1pe10.3)') 'ThisBugIsTotallyStupid=',   Var

Now try to highlight the word ThisBugIsTotallyStupid by doubleclicking on it - and it highlights all the garbage around the word too, all these spaces, commas, punctuation marks, equal sign !!! You can use any other editors in the world, any browsers, even Microsoft Word and you will not find this buggy annoyingly sick non-standard behavior anywhere else.

If i'd be at Silverfrost i'd allow free version of the compiler only with one condition: users have to report 10 problems of any sort they will find, or suggest 10 improvements, or after a year should call themselves lazy morons and stop using the software.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since this specific bug takes fixing way too much time i have to post this again.

Unfortunately sometimes the SDBG64 still miss the exact offending line. Today i found finally a bug with a world record miss. SDBG64 missed line not by just one-two but so many lines that if you are not on very fresh head you will skip searching for this very strange bug for days Smile)) This is what really happened. In reality the bug was in the subroutine around 15 lines below (!!!!!!). SDBG64 landed into sub Check_alloc instead of POP below. Do not pay the attention to the error message about the "argument number MINUS ONE" (!!!), this is a present to me from the devilry living in this compiler because its damn lazy effing users do not report the bugs

Last edited by DanRRight on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of FTN95 are you using?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This function gives me
Library date: 4:53:46 - 27:6:2019
Library version: 21.6.26.21
Code:
!============================================================
Integer function LibraryVersion64()
C_EXTERNAL GetLibraryVersionInfo '_GetLibraryVersionInfo'():INTEGER(7)
C_EXTERNAL GetLibraryDateInfo '_GetLibraryDateInfo'():INTEGER(7)
C_EXTERNAL GetString 'GET_CSTRING@'(REF,VAL,REF)
CHARACTER(80) info,info2

call GetString(info, GetLibraryDateInfo(), 80)
print*,'Library Date: ', info

call GetString(info2, GetLibraryVersionInfo(), 80)
!Year since 1998, month, day, hour...
print*, 'Library Vers: ', info2

i=winio@('%ww%ff Library date: %ta%22rs%ff Library version: %ta%22rs%ff %nl%cn%bt[OK]',info, info2)

LibraryVersion64 = 2
end function
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what version of FTN95 are you using? A patch for v8.50 is available and is critical in this instance.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please add to this function above the way to find all versions automatically. I supposed it is doing that with its digital accuracy.

I am lost what versions am using and what i patched. It is supposed to be the latest with some patches i downloaded from this forums after major release of 8.50 few months ago. I may misname the release, or scale back for some reason and then forget to return etc. Good to have to know that without human intervention to dig into file system besides just one click. Having this function is more useful than any other ways because you include it into your codes and you know your codes better than anything else and Clearwin+ menus are self-explanatory.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

If you type FTN95 on a command line then it will tell you what version you are using. If you are using v8.50 then you will get this behaviour and you need a later version.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[FTN95/Win32 Ver. 8.51.0 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 1993-2019]
[FTN95/x64 Ver. 8.51.0 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 1993-2019]

On your website there exist Apr 30 update which i downloaded month later. As As suggestion better to name the files there not just ftn95_update.exe but something like ftn95_update20190430_1.exe. Then we will know for sure what we installed. Ideally though all the FTN95, its LIB/DLL and update versions have to be gathered in one function like above or displayed on FTN95/HELP
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Can you check and confirm that the "world record miss" was obtained after recompiling all sources in your program using FTN95 v8.51.0.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. As i wrote you can do new versions quality assurance of FTN95 on my programs. Of course my programs are pure hell mess other compilers compiled but just refused to run reliably. Not surprisingly as we all know from Polyhedron comparison of ability of compilers to find the errors. Some compilers will swallow the program even if you chop it before with the shredder. Though in this specific case with the 64bit debugger to miss the offending line is a crime. The 32bit one was never doing that in a lifetime. The newest option /CHECK_WINIO also crashing compiler in 9 out of 10 compilations but hopefully you may fixed this already based on your note to other post

If your computer has 32GB or more RAM you can try full code yourself. I can not extract the demo, sorry. With /nocheck code works ok. The /undef and /check do not report any issues they are designed to catch for. So I suspect this is an indication of the weakness of sdbg64. I may try older 32 bit sdbg when have time
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 32bit, this specific error does not appear there
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to menu "Save Settings" is also needed. Currently this is allowed only at the exit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: