forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ftn95 in Windows 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
offthechart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Ftn95 in Windows 10 Reply with quote

I am finally going to Windows10 from Windows7. (Don't laugh). I currently run FTN95 from a Command prompt on W7. Will I still be able to create a Command Prompt in W10 or how is a Fortran program run on W10? Excuse my ignorance, but is Silverfrost downloaded in W10 without problems? Thanks.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use the same approach on Windows 10.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do beware with Windows 10, especially the 64-bit version, on a lowly computer., because there may not be enough RAM to work properly.

My junk heap, or should I say collection of old computers, includes several laptops. One, that still runs Win 7 32-bit has 1Gb RAM, and Windows 7 occupies half of it. Unfortunately, it's rather heavy, and unsuited for travel, but FTN95 runs fine on it, and so do all my apps.. The 4Gb RAM machine went a bit flaky after overheating in its bag after being switched on at Gatwick by security and not switched off properly. I then 'upgraded' to the later model in the same range with only 2Gb which was fine for some years but Win 10 64 bit has now decided it wants 1.9Gb and so is now unusable. (The last 2 upgraded automatically from Win 7 and Win 8 respectively, but to Win 10 64-bit). So I'm back to the 4Gb machine while I work out what to do next.

As far as Win 10 goes, FTN95 works just fine, provided that there is free RAM - my problem is with MS Office that won't run now on the 2Gb machine. My desktop with oodles more RAM works fine.

No matter how superior Plato is, I still use the freeware programmer's File Editor PFE32 as I'm habituated to it. It has its own DOS box. Win 10 has several choices including 'Power Shell'.

IN short, FTN95 is fine with Win 10, but upgrading an inferior old machine from Win 7 32-bit to Win 10 64-bit may not prove all that successful.

Eddie
offthechart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: FTN95 on Win10 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I am planning on getting a new computer with at least 16Gb RAM. My main concern was the 'methodology' of running Fortran on Win10 64-bit. My current setup is W7-64 with 8Gb. Remarkably fast considering I originally started with IBM mainframes many, many years ago writing engineering software. Now it is just for fun. (Want to know how much farther a home run travels in Denver vs Miami?) Smile
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear offthechart
(nice name ... a man (or woman) with that name should try out ClearWin's plotting capabilities),

Win7 ain't broke, and in fact it's the best OS MS have ever released, so why 'fix' it ?
But if you're not an ardvark like myself , or just just wanna torture yourself to death from stage one Wink, then plough on into the deep end with wild optimistic abandon.
Otherwise I'll wager you'll definately want to get hold of a program to re-instate the Win 7 start menu !

Before people pipe up and say you can do that in Win 7, well apparently (remember I don't have and don't want Win10 - I'm a victim of the initial MS 'let's secretly update you to Win 10 before you realise it' scam - I found out just in time and was able to stop it and delete it before it furtively self-installed) .... well apparently you can ... but it's not exactly the same is it ?

Well not according to this article which is one of many you can find on the net coutesy of that bloke Mr. Google (or similar,nay better, give Mr Duckduckgo.com a try for example) ...
like THIS ONE

There are many Win7 Start Menu emulators available and one picks based on one's foibles.

My personal experience is with Vistart which I installed on my daughter's Win 8.1 machine about 4 years ago and it's great (not sure if there's a Win 10 version available - there should be) ... or the ones suggested in the article above, or just do some duckduckgo-ing and diving around and see what you can dig up.

Good luck and whatever you decide to do come back and let us know your experiences (good and hopefully not bad) with FTN95 on Win 10

P.S.
a home run probably goes farther in Boston than either of your mentioned cities ..... but after all a game of rounders (a women's (see note 1) game) is not exactly taxing is it Wink

P.P.S.
It would be ineteresting to see how many big companies have switched their IT system over to Win10 (and Office 2010 or above).
I've experienced complete mayhem about 12 years ago when a large company on the south coast of France switched over to Win 7 !!!
Not at all easy and certainly not cheap.
The external subcontractor who did it eventually almost put down tools (they went on a go slow) because of the effort it was taking doing installs 2 or 3 times (in the case of the head of my dept. it was I think 5 times !)
Once you've experienced something like that you can appreciate why lots of companies still run WinXP !
-the solution to viral infections and hacking is not to blindly update your system as the 'IT giants' try to force you to do ... it's simply to not let your staff do what they want and above all not let them access your portal from ANYWHERE outside the company !!!
20 years ago I've seen a whole corporations computer system brought to a standstill because one employee decided to send a Disney screensaver to someone he knew vis the company's intranet and before the day was out the whole internet was brought down by the traffic created by the pyramidical spreading of sends between doting parents who nelieve they can do absolutely anything in company time !!!

cheers
John S. Ardvark (7yrs old and never going to reach 10, if he can help it Wink )

Notes
(1) DEFINATELY a women's game - as proven by that 'handbags at close quarters confrontation a week or two ago ..... go thump an opponent when he makes a structured criticism of your pitching ability and then bugger off as quickly as possible from the field of play and leave a teammate to slap a few other players from the oppoing team and take most of the flack.
If you wanna see some real handbags then do a google for 'Wigan Warrington fights' ... in World Series Rugby.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie ,
Stick with Office 2003, it's all anyone will ever need.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

In some ways you are right, but in others wrong, I’m afraid.

Not that I need 64-bit Windows, but I suspect that 64-bit programs wouldn’t run under Win 7, at least, not satisfactorily. I get the impression that Win 7 64-bit was a rara avis anyway.

Your advice about Office 2013 is great if all you need to do is to create and exchange bits of printed paper with some e mails thrown in. What you should realise is that there are later forms of MS documents that Office 2013 cannot read. Also, documents created with mismatched early versions of Office formats do not open and display properly, for example, misplacing graphic content. Part of the reason for this is how page sizes are calculated, for example, with US letter paper not being the same size on a European-configured Windows/Office combo as a US version, which was hell if preparing a ‘camera-ready’ paper for a US conference. Something to do with dpi, probably.

Software continuously evolves to annoy the user. For example, my CorelDRAW won’t open early version files, nor files from a version later than the one I’m using. MS Office can be the same, and certainly it no longer supports opening WordPerfect files, WordStar was abandoned long before that. Quattro Pro (Yep, still exists) won’t open or run early version files, and Excel doesn’t want to know – it used to when it was playing ‘catch-up’).

And as for those poor blighters afflicted with .NET and Visual Studio – well, that’s a continual process of catching up.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

I've personally had no problem running any 64bit program on my Win7 Home Premium (pre-installd on my faithful 10 yr old Acer lapìtop)

It's pretty standard that any program will hav problems with trying to read some files produced by a LATER version.

Any program norìt reading earlier versions should be avoided like the plague imo.
Backward compatability is a de facto 'standard' requirement of any program's devlopment.
Mind you there's a 'workaround ' isn't there .... just keep an old trusty version of the program !!!!!
(Not made easy in Office btw, because of Outlook)

For various file formats - just keep a copy of the latest OpenIìOffice (the flavour of your choice as there are now 2 offshoot branches) and when some idiot sends you one of those docx or xlsx files just pluf it through and write it out in doc or xls format. Simple.

Who mentioneed Office 2013 ?
Certainly not me ! Smile

Oh I forgot to mention, in any vrsion of Office, Powerpoint shouldn't be touched with a 10ft long stick used for propulsion of canal craft :O)
It's respobsable for the greatest number of lost working hours since the creation of man !
Hands up if you've ever been in a presentation where it was absolutely impossible to read what was on the screen .
OK, so that's all of you then.

P.S. the bells and whistles in the 'modern' versions of Office are nothing but dangling donkey carrots to try to get one to fork out for it.
Managers may be tempted:
a) because they're the ones who sign off their own budgets :O)
b) because they need all the 'pretty pictures' they can get

Of course all my comments refer to these programs in a large company real working environment, where time is money, and one's forced to 'take one's work home' to finish (*) it off for an ever increasingly unrealistic deadline.

Bring back secretaries I say.
So much more civilised, with the added bonus of allowing engineers to do engineering, or scientists to do science, or software developers to do more bug-catching Smile ...... or whatever is one's 'thing'.
_________________________________________________-

(*) - not by a northern scandinavian freelancer Wink
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Pot calling Kettle black methinks over the 2003/2013 typo!

As to "avoided like the plague", then name one. You can compound it by programs that disappear.

I'll PM my view of Powerpoint.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL !
point taken, humble pie duely(or is it duley? or if early in the morning dewley?) consumed Smile

I forgot something in my previous comment.
On the subject of:
Quote:
Software continuously evolves to annoy the user

it would be nice to understand how those at MS think the ribbon menus are more 'intuitive' (?) than standard menus before we get the %ri format introduced into ClearWin+ .

What's interesting, if I remember correctly what I read somewhere, is that while MS want people to use 'their' ribbon style they actually patent it and go so far as to restrict how it can be applied in applications ! (I joketh not).
Well after all they wouldn't want any old noggin going and making it better than their effort now would they !

Could that be classified as unreasonable restriction of utilisation I wanda ?

I sometimes wonder how MS continue to make the profits they do.
Theory says they should be already out of business.
They went far too far far too early, certainly in terms of software capabilities.
I guess they rely on the 'corporate' market combined with scaremongering to fend off the freeware competition threat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: