forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error In Using ClearWin+ %PL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Do you still use %lw here ? If take it off things still do work same way like in your first example

Or as often happens i missed the point in the hurry and you advertise using "toolwindow" option?

Eddie,
To be more clear, if i could, or if %pl had 3D options based on OpenGL, i'd use many (tens!) of OpenGL windows, like i use many 2D XY and surface plots currently (but that is my own graphics routines based on %gr and Clearwin allows switching content data stream on specific graphics window)

Last edited by DanRRight on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The latest sample now uses %lw in the secondary window so that both windows can be open and either window can have the focus.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, earlier you wrote:
Quote:
The locking out has something to do with using %ww[independent] twice

The documentation for %ww[independent] states:-

Quote:
Makes the window independent of other windows in the program that are already open. This can be used to create several windows which the user can move between at will and where there is no implied window hierarchy.

which seems to imply that each window should have the option specified if you want all windows to be accessible.
Or have I missed something somewhere else ?

As Eddie mentioned them, what happens when Child Windows in a frame (i.e MDI) are used, any special considerations to be taken into account there ?

I also noticed that the documentation for %lw mentions the problem of local variables 'disappearing' in the context of the control variable (which determines if the window stays open or not) for %lw.
I quote:
Quote:
It is very important that the control variable used to receive the result does not cease to exist before the window closes. Hence it is necessary to use a variable that is either global (appears in the main program, a COMMON block or MODULE) or static (appears in a SAVE or DATA statement).

which is essentially the same situation as that experienced for the graphics window in the present example, and should be made the general rule for good code design.

In any case, like several other topics before it the logic behind all this is sifficult to follow without a pictorial representation. An illustration is worth a thousand words as the saying goes. Maybe such forms of pictorial documentation for such things could be introduced progressively into the documentation.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also ask to add the check of validity of operations like you have just added in %PL to prevent crashes and give user an option to ignore the execution or continue and crash but now into openGL function swap_opengl_buffers() in 64bit version if Silverfrost has control on that. Sometimes it crashing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: