forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 ..... dominated by 'Professional' or 'Casual' Users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which 'Flavour'(s) of FTN95 Do You Use Currently ?
Commercial (Paid) (FULL) Version Only ?
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
PERSONAL (Free) Version Only ?
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Both FULL and PERSONAL Versions ! ?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Educational (Paid) (ACADEMIC) Version Only ?
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
ACADEMIC & PERSONAL ?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
FULL & ACADEMIC ?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: FTN95 ..... dominated by 'Professional' or 'Casual' Users Reply with quote

I'm not talking about it's quality, that's uncontestably in the TOP PRO category.

I was just wondering, what is the ratio of FTN95 Personal Version users to Commercial Version (Paid) users ? ... or indeed how do Educational Instititutional users fit into the jigsaw

Have SF got a handle on this statistic ?

Maybe we can get a handle on it if all 1000+ forums members were to complete the attached poll (see top of post) .... over to you
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "

Last edited by John-Silver on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there ya go Eddie, all options included Smile

DAMN it , I missed the option for the 'ULTIMATE' User who uses all 3 versions concurrently ! LOL)

If YOU are THAT (can there be more than one ?) man (or, as is more probable, woman Wink) then post a comment with full background as to how you are the full monty of the ftn95 world !!!

N.B. Silverfrost Personnel do not count in this category ! LOL
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having joined the ranks of the 'Paid' (by myself), it's time to stop being a 'Doubles' man, so rather than styling myself a 'Trebles' man, I'm down to' 'Singles' now.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm ..... 1000+ registered forum members, post viewed by 97, only 4 voted.

Does this mean we have a user base of 4 or is it that everyone 'out there' just pops in for ss shufty and then disappears I wonder.

If the latter it's no wonder Silverfrost are struggling for resources to implement wish list requests.

.... of course it could be much more serious than that ...... apathy (from the masses that is)
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Of course SF could tell you the poll answers in advance, if they wanted.

My guess is that FTN95 works brilliantly for most users, adequately for a few, and has issues for only a tiny minority. It also depends on what you use, for example if you (like me) hardly ever use anything from Fortran 90 onwards, don't use Plato, aren't interested in the debugger, never use the library function or SCION, aren't interested in 64-bit, don't use .NET, and program graphs using graphics primitives, then my chance of finding real bugs is much less than someone who wants the lot.

Eddie
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Good job.
How about making few more polls? Preliminary topics

1) When you have noticed some problems or disadvantage of compiler do you procrastinate to report them to Silverfrost or in this groups ?

Responds: I'm lazy procrastinator waiting others to report that, Sometimes, Usually I ask in these groups is it a bug worth to fix

2) Do you use Debugger (Very often, Regularly, Rarely, Never)

3) Have you used built in Graphics library, Simpleplot or OpenGL?
(Yes, Almost No, Never)

4) Have you tried to run the Examples demonstrating the novel features of the compiler supplied with the compiler ?
(Yes, No)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: