forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

files shown with icon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bartl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: files shown with icon Reply with quote

Is it possible to create a ???.exe file with plato/clearwin, with a self made icon, which is shown automatically when I open the explorer?

For examble:
When I open a salford folder all *.f95 files are automatically shown with the PLATO icon on the left side.

I tried it with:

winapp 0,0
program icon_test
include<windows.ins>
i=winio@('%ca[ Icon Test]')
stop
end
resources
myicon icon myicon.ico

It seams that I am not an the right path.

Johann
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is an installation program. I use Jordan Russell#s 'Innosetup' ( http://jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php ) which has the advantage of being free. The installer can bundle up salflibc.dll, your chm help file, 'how-to' Powerpoints etc, into a single EXE along with your program, and then unpack them into folders you define, install specific fonts, set the registry, etc. It can also define your desktop icon.

As a one-off, you can change the desktop icon manually, by right-clicking on it, and the change icon option is in Properties.

There's one huge disadvantage with Windows, and that is where you repeatedly reinstall on your development machine. Windows stores the icon in an 'icon database', and re-uses it. Fine, but you may find that the icon has been downscaled for use in, say, the alphabetical list in the Start menu, and looks awful. It's the devil's own job to get that re-defined.

It's therefore worth using something like IconFX to create a multi-resolution icon for use in your .RC file, and getting it right for all resolutions right from the start.

IconFX also enables you to create those icon strips that Paul introduced a couple of versions ago.

Not that FTN95/CW+ can set the minimise icon for you, but not, it seems, the others.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why File Explorer shows the Plato icon for .f95 files etc. is rooted in the current registry setting for the key...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.f95\OpenWithList

The Silverfrost installer may well set this value to link .f95 etc. to Plato. If not then this can be configured from Plato via its Options/Settings. In other words you can get your application to set the value of this registry key.
Bartl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast answer.
I now understand how it works and will try all the possibilities.

johann
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,
I assume that's a typo and you mean IcoFX ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: