forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Access violation in draw_text call in 64 bit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar,
thanks for the explication of /DEFINE on the compile line, but where is that documented ?

Also, does that mean one is OBLIGED to use it if you use DRAW_TEXT , or any other dbos command for that matter ?

JohnS
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAW_TEXT@ and similar (now undocumented) DBOS routines should not be used in new code. There are equivalent alternatives. At the moment DRAW_TEXT@ will not work in 64 bit compilations even when DBOS.INS is included.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, Paul. Methinks it isn't so much 'new code', but rather attempting to get 'old code' working in a new context.

The failure to transition old facilities is something that upsets loyal, long-term, users, and doesn't matter a jot to new coders.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eddie. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that John-Silver's interest does not relate to legacy code.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I suspect that I have been sensitized in this respect by my favourite drawing program, CorelDRAW!, not supporting previous version files. Doesn't matter at all to new customers, matters a lot to 'old faithfuls'.

A couple of years ago I found the paperwork from when I attended the launch of Clearwin. I forget now, was it 1992? So the DBOS graphics got superceded a very long time ago. The legacy was perhaps the legacy of a legacy of a legacy!

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
it was dietmar's question you answered above.
You're perfectly right that my interest doesn't relate to heritage code.

My 'interest' comes from just trying to understand what /DEFINE does, having seen it in Dietmar's write-up.

Dietmar gave an explanation in the context he uses it for his DRAW_TEXT problem.

However it's not clear if it's NECESSARY requirement to use it, and why, not if it's applicable for all dbos routines (and maybe other non-dbos).

Why does that mattr ? ... well, because when reading through the other posts that Dietamar referenced I came across the discussion about these 'archaic' dbos commands in general and the point made there & then that some of them (as indicated in the manuals) could still be useful as there are no 'modern' equivalents.

Taking that on board and then seeing /DEFINE used I wondered if in that case it was necessary also for other commands.

Hence my question, for future reference, and to note it in my paper copy of the .pdf Annex.

It's useage (/DEFINE) must be defined (sic) somewhere in the documentation, although I couldn't come across it, unless it's one of those enigmatic 'undefined' developers features' which pop up from time to time.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Silver,

you might want to look at the online help of ftn95 where /Define and /CFPP are both mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion. Option "/Define DRAW_TEXT 1" together with option "cfpp" is used to make line
Code:

CALL DRAW_TEXT@('DRAW_TEXT@',100,200,RGB@(0,0,0))

seen by the compile step (or not). Option /cfpp means that the compiler first preprocesses the code before compiling it. Option "/Define DRAW_TEXT 1" makes that the code following line "#if DRAW_TEXT" up to the next #ENDIF is active after the preprocessor step. This has nothing to do with the semantics of CALL DRAW_TEXT@. It is only used to make the code line containing "DRAW_TEXT@" be used by the compile step or not.

If option "/Define DRAW_TEXT 1" is missing it is the same as if you would have decommented the line containing "DRAW_TEXT@". You need option "/CFPP" because otherwise ftn95 would complain about the #IFDEF.

Regards,
Dietmar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: