forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash:This routine has been entered recursively (-ANSI mode)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Crash:This routine has been entered recursively (-ANSI mode) Reply with quote

I got this message when implemented slider %sl which calls function SliderFunction. The demo is here, but this demo works fine, itis the main code which crashes
Code:
module mod111
integer kBusySliding
real*8 SliderVariable
CONTAINS
Integer function SliderFunction ()
  if(kBusySliding.eq.1) goto 10000
  kBusySliding = 1
  a=2.3
  Do i=1,5000000
  a=log(exp(a))
  enddo
  print*, a
kBusySliding = 0
10000 continue
SliderFunction=2
end function
end module mod111
!=============================
PROGRAM aaa
use mod111
  kBusySliding = 0
  i=winio@('%60^sl', SliderVariable, 0d0, 1d0, SliderFunction)
end program

Inside this function goes some calculation but seems during mouse movement the slider calls this function hundreds times and way before the calculation inside the function SliderFunction ends. Despite that i implemented for such exact cases the measure (see the trick introducing variable kBusySliding) to prevent any new computations before previous ones complete (and may cause problems due to that), this time the crash happens exactly on the first line of function SliderFunction before doing anything

Questions:
1) How to get rid of this crash? Though i admit that though the compiler is strict and absolutely right, but in this specific case i do not care about possible problems with the recursion, i just do not want it to crash. I will prevent potential collisions myself with kBusySliding trickery which worked perfectly for decades
2) What means -ANSI mode warning in this case ? Good that such warning exists though i do not find it enough verbose to tell me more hints. With -ANSI this program even does not compile, so what for this -ANSI warning was made?

This demo example above works OK both with 64 and 32bits.

Last edited by DanRRight on Thu May 02, 2019 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

You may need to use a recent version of the ClearWin+ library in order to avoid the recursive element.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps, i missed your PM. Will try new library, thanks
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still crashing. But sometimes not. Demo above also works fine. I do not know what's to do. Interesting is that using the wheel %dd with %^rd which calls the same function works no problem
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would need a sample program that demonstrates the failure before I could comment.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not possible again to extract the demo and keep the bug. It took me a day and the extraction grew and grew till eventually to become not manageable. Plus the bug in demo disappeared.

This will be the lesson to all and myself: over time i added and added and added features and now even simple plotting program became unmanageable. Needs way way too much time to keep it working. Programming has to be like in Lego: small simplest possible block not dependent on one giant module far away. All initiations have to be just nearby.

So my question is : how to trick the compiler and make it to miss this error? Nothing bad will happen. The place where this happen is related to realtime mouse position control in the callback mouse_pos which is called thousands time when mouse moved
Code:
i=winio@('%^og[...]', lx, ly, mouse_pos)

I speculate that some calls are not yet finished while next ones already happening so the mouse_pos could be called recursively. Usually before i included special variable into the first line of mouse_pos which made such congestions not happening by exiting immediately if previous mouse_pos was still running. May be i am wrong but looks like FTN95 became way too picky and now such congested calls become an error just by calling the mouse_pos before it succeed doing any executable statements if previous instance is still running. I have not changed anything in this part during last few years but this part of program started crashing.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a routine is being entered recursively against your wishes then you could put a SAVEd logical variable at the start of it. Set this .TRUE. on the first entry and exit immediately on reentry so that the routine is only executed at the first level.

SUBROUTINE sub(....)
LOGICAL,SAVE:: active
!!DATA statement to initialise active to .FALSE.
IF(active) RETURN
active = .TRUE.
!! Body of subroutine
active = .FALSE.
END SUBROUTINE
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you don't like SAVE, put it in a COMMON block.

Eddie
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this " Run-time error 18 - This routine has been entered recursively" stops in debugger exactly on the line If(active) Return i.e. the error is generated before doing any IFs.

Is there any way to prevent this error to occur? At least temporally for debugging (and may be even permanently : Clearwin GUI has not to crash in this case. Things are that if you use slider, for example, and move slider fast, its callback might be executed many times while you slide. In this case some new call might happen while previous one is still not ended.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should look at the result of clearwin_string@( "CALLBACK_REASON") within your callback function.

This may tell you when to immediately return from the callback function rather than do other things that lead to the recursion.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that the error is generated just by entering same function second time while first is not finished. This happens before any executable statements are attempted to run. Situation looks like a total screw up for any possible workarounds ... Sad
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to step through the callback on the first call using the debugger? If you know the point at which re-entry occurs, you may be able to avoid it.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not getting what this will do. The callback is permanently used when you use slider. The problem which i am describing is mostly takes place during debug because during debug the code runs 10-100 slower and overlap of callbacks can happen
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs OK when you are not using debug mode then you can put a PRINT statement into your failing callback function to print the value of clearwin_string@( "CALLBACK_REASON"). There may be "reasons" that need filtering out.

It seems unlikely that it fails in debug mode because it is running slower. Perhaps the compiler does not add checks for recursion in non-debug mode.

I hesitate to ask but what happens if you make the callback recursive?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used it. Will try...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: