forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Position/Sense the cursor in a %rs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Position/Sense the cursor in a %rs Reply with quote

I was curious if there are function that set and return the current cursor position within a %rs control?

My issue is I'd like to intercept the user's typing and automatically select a choice from a list of possible choices, continuing to narrow the selections down with each key stroke.

For example if my choices are:
Quote:

HAB
HAC
HAAD

And the user types HAA, then the control shows HAAD with the cursor between the second A and the D.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

%rs uses a Microsoft edit control so you could use %lc to get the HWND of the control and then send a EM_GETSEL message...

pos = SendMessage(hwnd, EM_GETSEL, 0, 0)

This would work if the user has not selected a number of characters together. Otherwise you might need to use the third and fourth arguments of SendMessage.
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. I'll give it a try.
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works, with the value of the starting and ending character (in my simple test case, the same) returned in POS as 2 16-bit integers packed into the 32-bit return value.

To use the third and fourth parameters, they must be specified as loc(xx). This returns the start and end as 32-bit quantities (no unpacking needed)

I'll experiment with EM_SETSEL next.

Thanks again!
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For EM_SETSEL, the third and fourth parameters are the value to which the cursor position should be set.

It also has (in the MSDN documentation) some other characteristics that I'll have to experiment with to find the right combination.

That said, this looks like I'll be able to use it as I had intended.

Again, many thanks, Paul!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you prefer, you could avoid using LOC by defining an alternative interface for SendMessage in which VAL is replaced by REF for the 3rd and 4th arguments.
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, good suggestion.

That said, it kind of "fits" since the two arguments can be references or data values, depending on the message. Just requires some more care by the user to make sure the arguments are of the right type!
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

If there are a limited number of choices, then getting the user to select from a drop-down list is a good solution, as then you can populate the list with valid choices, and you don't need to check that the user has typed the selection correctly.

I struggled with a far less complex case than yours, namely a 1 or 2 character code. I solved that with a radio button pair that gave the choice of 1 or 2 characters. A simpler alternative if up to 4 character codes are possible is a drop-down list from which the user can select 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Hope this is of some help.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

If there are a limited number of choices, then getting the user to select from a drop-down list is a good solution, as then you can populate the list with valid choices, and you don't need to check that the user has typed the selection correctly.

I struggled with a far less complex case than yours, namely a 1 or 2 character code. I solved that with a radio button pair that gave the choice of 1 or 2 characters. A simpler alternative if up to 4 character codes are possible is a drop-down list from which the user can select 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Hope this is of some help.

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

Thanks for your solution. It helps to have another perspective.

I am exploring a number of options to assist selection of data/parameters. One of the limitations is the size of a %ls being 32678 characters. For this part of the selection, it could be the %ls might display over 1000 entries. Having a control that can display potential selections as the user is typing (kind of a peek ahead) can speed the process. For example, there may be 30 entries that start with "H", but only 1 or a few that start with "HA". Changing from keyboard to mouse back to keyboard (what most people do because they are not aware of using keyboard focus shifting) takes time and some degree of concentration. I'm searching for a solution that minimizes both. The user knows what they want (usually).

So, I'm experimenting with things I've seen used in the past that seem to work well in their own application, just to see if I can duplicate the look/feel.

It's fun!

Bill
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you have a a need for something like my car GPS which has a system with a touch-screen on which a keyboard is displayed when 'Destination entry' has been selected. The letters and numerals can be disabled (greyed out). Only valid continuation characters are enabled.

So, if one had already typed HEAV, the only keys available are E, I and Y. If Y is pressed, the only available keys are 'space' and 'backspace'. and the word is displayed as HEAVY. If I is selected, the display is updated to 'HEAVISIDE', and again, only 'space' and 'backspace' are available. However, if 'E' is selected, letter keys D, N and S remain selectable.

Assuming this is the effect you are seeking, it seems to me that the entry shouldn't be directly into a %rs box, but instead, you need to use the %'rs option, and to sample the keypresses with ADD_KEYBOARD_MONITOR@, then if valid options are pressed, update the display with WINDOW_UPDATE@

Because you can't grey-out the keys on a physical keyboard, you can just ignore the inappropriate ones, or reward the user with a BEEP@ !

As to how you manage the dictionary, I haven't got a clue, but it is probably some sort of tree structure*. I did a Google search, and there seem to be multiple options. One page suggested the cellphone autocomplete algorithm, but I always have autocomplete turned off, as once I get to SHI , the phone won't let me finish SHIN or SHIP or even SHILOH, but gives me an unacceptable choice!

It's also probably clumsy in Fortran, and if ever I had to re-invent that particular wheel, my solution would be brute force rather than elegant. I think that I would have to remember the actual acceptable keypresses so that a 'backspace' would have the capacity to remove more than one character if a group had been inserted, as in ISIDE with just I. Then, a backspace would revert to HEAV, not HEAVISID.

There is also the benefit that the whole computer's processing power is available while the user is interacting with it, and some elaborate work on the dictionary can be done seemingly without delay. So the computer could search the dictionary even if it was simply an alphabetical list to decide what characters were acceptable at any time.

Eddie

*The sort of thing that computer scientists love. It's in the lecture course after the point that most engineers have already left.
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, it may be of interest to you to read about "perfect hashing", i.e., hashing without "collisions". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_hash_function .

Perfect hash algorithms are slower than plain hashing algorithms. However, if speed is not a factor to worry about, the use of perfect hashing relieves you from having to write code to resolve hash collisions.
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, thanks for your well considered reply.

Since I am investigating what I might do, I've been trying different possibilities. This was/is one of them. If I cannot work out the kinks or it becomes convoluted, then it gets abandoned. I don't like convoluted code. Makes it hard to maintain.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bill
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mecej4,

I was hoping that you or jalih would respond, because programming such algorithms lies outside my usual range of activities. The point of the post, if it is discernable from the usual ramble, is that one is probably better using %'rs and ADD_KEYBOARD_MONITOR@ than delving into the realms of some undocumented (or needing to be developed) extension of the Clearwin+ code.

Bill's range may well extend to hash tables and tree structures, but mine does not. One has to accept one's limitations! However, with a dictionary of only around 1000 entries, it could be searched repeatedly for subsequent valid letters and still be done faster than anyone is likely to be able to type.

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, my potential application is only a few thousand entries at most, and, yes, I can do a search faster than the user can type.

That said, I am open to all kinds of ideas.

I have also experimented with %el, but this control has a few idiosyncrasies that I haven't worked through. It might work, but.....

I might end up with a %rs to enter the string, while the %ls adjacent to it changes its contents(and limits) based on what was typed. I used something similar to this when writing a different section, where what the user types changes a %lv dynamically to limit choices.

The list from which the user chooses is a name of a quadrangle map. The user will typically abbreviate the actual quadrangle name (i.e. removing all the vowels). Thus, typing the consonants of the name quickly yields the result. perhaps even in a few keystrokes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: