forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of clearwin with Gfortran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcherw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Use of clearwin with Gfortran Reply with quote

I am an enthusiastic user of Silverfrost, but at this stage I am trying to compile a code that contains a lot of clearwin with gFortran. The reason for doing so is that I'd like to get my code running with a second compiler as a matter of QA (just to check if there are different arithmetic outcomes, which typically point to possible improvements of some of the algorithms).

I am struggling a bit getting clearwin up and running for gFortran. I looked at the page discussing implementation of Clearwin for 3rd party compilers and implemented whats written there (which got me going).

However, at this stage I get persistently a link error 'undefined reference to `winio$_' '.

I have include clearwin64 .dll and clearwin64f.dll in the build. Was able to look 'inside' clearwin64f.dll and noticed that funtion winio was not defined in that dll

I was unable to look inside clearwin64.dll (the program I used reported "no symbols"

Does anyone have experience with this issue and would be be able to explain what the problem might be.

Thanks,
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a short program that fails to build together with your gFortran build commands.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the sentiments here, and indeed prior to the PC age, I took great pains only to write Fortran that would move easily from machine to machine, bearing in mind that one rarely had a choice of compiler – just the one that came with that particular machine, warts and all. In the PC age, under DOS, there was an embarrassment of choice, and like you, I ran my programs through every compiler that I could find for purposes that I might now describe as QA, but then I would have expressed in the language of portability.
Once one dips one’s toe into Clearwin+, however, one is back in the era of Hobson’s Choice. Suppose, for instance, that you have made an error in the Clearwin+ code (or there is an error in Clearwin+) you will never find it with a different compiler, because Clearwin+ is the same and comes from the same place whether you use it with Gfortran or FTN95. As you discovered, it’s easier with FTN95. It’s only the bits of your program that don’t rely on Clearwin+ that are worth testing with a different compiler.
My experience, such as it is, is that using Clearwin+ locks you into FTN95 as effectively as it locks you into Windows, and takes you back into that early era. However, there are consolations.
Firstly, the Clearwin+ parts of your program will be associated with data input and results presentation. In the former, you can easily tell if the input data has actually been input; and in the latter, especially if you present the results graphically, you can see they are presented correctly. Making an old Fortran program into a fully fledged Windows application will inevitably mean that the majority of the program falls into those two categories. You can test the bit in the middle with any compiler by simply extracting the relevant routines, feeding them a dataset from a file (which is what happens with File|Open anyway) and storing away the results in another file.
Moreover, data input can only function at the speed of the human user and therefore the processing speed that depends on the compiler tends to be rather immaterial. When it comes to just simply drawings and pictures at the end of the day, speed is again rather secondary and you can normally tell by inspection if the process completes correctly.
Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcherw,

are you using the clearwin+ 'executable' mentioned here:
http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=2583
and linking with that, or with the .dll and .lib in one of the latr ftn95 builds ?
If so, that could introduce cincompatabilities.

There's a more recent dscussion about use of gfortran and clearwin+ here, which might have some pointers for you here , (especially if you're using Plato ?):-
http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=3583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: