forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would like to run legacy version of compiler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcherw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Would like to run legacy version of compiler. Reply with quote

I have a code which was 32-bit compiled in 2006 with the Salford 2.52 compiler, and which I have recently compiled with Silverfrost 32 bit (option release win32).

The 2 executables give subtle but significant differences in results.

In order to check the matter I would like to recompile the code with the Salford 2.52 compiler (of which I have a copy). But I can't install it on win7 or win 10 (error unsupported 16 bit application).

Could anyone tell me about the best option to run Salford 2.52 in a 'modern' environment. I am quite familiar with Virtual Machines (VMware and Vbox), so that woudl be an option if anyone can tell me what environment exactly to create.

Cheers,

Joost
wahorger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program called DosBox that I've used successfully with 16-bit applications. It basically is a DOS emulator. It runs pretty fast, and would appear to give great functionality. I do not know if it will run under Windows 10, but I know it ran under Windows 7.

https://www.dosbox.com/
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This implies that the installer for FTN95 v2.52 was for Windows 95. The installed software (particularly FTN95 and SLINK) would be fully 32 bits. So if you can find an old Windows 95 machine you should be able to install and then copy the files to a post Windows 95 machine.
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you can't find an old Windows 95 machine or VM, you can do the installation of a 32-bit package that uses a 16-bit installer on a Linux PC with Wine installed. Once the installation is done, copy the whole installed package to your Windows PC.

DosBox runs on Windows 10, and I have used it to unpack/install several DOS packages.
JMoody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to set up a XP as a virtual machine. The installer should run there too.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 32-bit (and 64) VMs here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

They are very useful for testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: