forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLATO ... a wise philosophical leap into the future ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: PLATO ... a wise philosophical leap into the future ? Reply with quote

I'm interested to know how many people actually use Plato in anger on a regular basis as their main I/F with ftn95.
And the advantages they see it brings.

A long, long, long, long ... (you get the idea) I used Compaq visual Fortran with it's integrated (Plato-like, from what little I remember) gui.

It as fine but I never really knew what it was doing under the bonnet.

Fast forward 20-odd years and here I am faced with the prospect of maybe Plato becoming the 'standard' I/F to ftn95 (with all the comittment to getting a x64 version of Plato out ,it seems that way to me anyway) and I'm hesitant/nervous to launch myself into it (I already have enough on my plate sorting out becoming au fait with Fortran 95 and plumping (nice word that) for an adequate plotting capability, if one exists anywhere.

Any feedback and comments would be appreciated.

Oh and Paul/Robert ... why is it called PLATO ???
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why PLATO. The name was inherited from an earlier Salford Software IDE. Maybe something like platonic means a form of friendship - hence a friendly interface.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is a pun on Play Doh - from which you can make just about anything.

Oddly, although Plato appears to have been Athenian, the icon shows a Doric column - maybe there's some hidden significance in that.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: