forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Fortran 95 - recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arctica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Learning Fortran 95 - recommendations Reply with quote

Hello

I am slowly getting back into learning Fortran, having done bits and pieces a few years back, mostly simple code for equations. I'd like to get some recommendations for a good general text for Fortran 90/95 that would start from the very basics and take the user through more complex developments, but in an easy to learn way. Not sure which books are good for learning all the main parts of the code.

Are there any online guides to learning Fortran ?

I have tinkered around with Fortran through FTN95 and do like the free-format way of writing code.

Thanks for any advice

Lester

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Learning Fortran 95 - recommendations Reply with quote

Lester

Try "Fortran 90 tutorial" in Google. It comes up with a number of online tutorials.
The book by Metcalf and Reid is good.
Hicham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester

I have had the same problem myself. An excellent Fortran 95 textbook is the one by S. Chapman. It is available through amazon.com. This is a textbook that you could actually read on your own, and it shows you how to go about building your code step by step. It has plenty of examples that you could type up and compile.
I must also warn against the book by Reid & Metcalf. It is NOT a self-study book, and it lacks proper examples. I would avoid it by all means.

Hope this helped.
Hicham
weaverwb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Like most topics these days, one book doesn't seem to make it. I bought 3 or 4, finding each one provided some part that others did not. In particular, most leave out some parts or another that they don't like. thus, I found the FORTRAN 90 Handbook by Adams et al. most useful as it is the most complete (even nicer than their FORTRAN 95 book). For quick reference, I found the "The key features of Fortran 95" by Adams et al. from the FORTRAN Company to be the one I apeal to the most.

Note that neither of these has full program examples but both have illustrative fragments.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of Plato3 has both a Fortran 70 and a Fortran 95 tutorial that is accessed via the Help menu. It comes with FTN95 v5.01.

Personally I like "Reid and Metclaf".
tk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Hicham.

Chapman's book is most suitable for those of us who just use Fortran as a tool - our main job being as engineer, scientist, etc.

Reid & Metcalf is more for those with a good general knowledge of several languages, software design and related matters - people who work in computing per se.

tk
ursuselasticus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this link to Chapman's book from another forum, you might think this helpful.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3Mpe9RUaNFcC&;dq=fortran+95+book&pg=PA14&ots=8abo9me04V&sig=V8qHWz5HM9XnX9RrywNqcqqcHis&;prev=http://www.google.co.uk/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dfortran%2B95%2Bbook%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3D&sa=X&;oi=print&ct=result&cd=1#PPP1,M1

Norbert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: