forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GET_SCREEN_BLOCK@ was removed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: GET_SCREEN_BLOCK@ was removed? Reply with quote

My program crashed on this absent library function. Do not see it even in documentation while it is was OK just 3 years back. What's to do with this?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

See Appendix A. "Functions ported from DBOS"
page 429+ of clearwin.pdf (Feb 2000)

The replacement is :
CREATE_GRAPHICS_REGION@ etc.

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John, somehow I missed two things: the change itself and the documentation notes about it.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET_SCREEN_BLOCK@ is an old DBOS routine that can be accessed from salflibc.dll (i.e. 32 bits) because it is "hard-wired" to a Win32 replacement function.

The recommended replacement is GET_SCREEN_DIB@ which has the same arguments except that they are 32 bit values rather than 16 bit values.

GET_SCREEN_DIB@ is exported by clearwin64.dll. The Win32 replacement mentioned above is not currently exported by clearwin64.dll.

Last edited by PaulLaidler on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'elo 'elo I smell confusion round the corner if this isn't clearly documented everywhere it needs to be or it'll be whirling back like a boomerand a la the 'what's a handle' posts

When's a next major documentation update scheduled for Paul ?
(that's a re-wok, consolidation, of the whole documentation packahìg not just version updates or fixes/clarifications which I know are ongoing.
There myst have been some level of planning/preparation done in the last 4 years I've been on the list ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

It's simpler than that. The graphics facilities provided for DOS with the DBOS extender were completely supplanted by Clearwin+a very long time ago. I went to the launch of Clearwin, which was around 1992. A handful of the DBOS graphics routines were also provided to ease the transition. But that was a quarter century or more ago, and we move on.

There's nothing to stop someone like Dan writing a routine for himself, using the obsolete name (but without the @) which internally uses the new(er) routines. If such a person was public-spirited, they would post it on the forum!

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: