forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 beta testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mecej4,

well my src.exe has the same date (time 20.37)
and exactly the same size as yours

The version I don't have indicated when I run command line which indicates it hasn't even started ?

But the CRC32 checksum (obtained with a freeware program 'Checksum Tool' (from sourceforge) is ot the same, it's :-- f1bb23ae
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:

But the CRC32 checksum (obtained with a freeware program 'Checksum Tool' (from sourceforge) is ot the same, it's :-- f1bb23ae

Sorry, I had posted the file length as the checksum. The crc32.exe from http://esrg.sourceforge.net/utils_win_up/md5sum/ does give 0xF1BB23AE, so the problem is probably in one of the FTN95 DLLs. I did notice that SDBG64 started crashing more often when I used the DLLs that came with the 8.30.279 beta release.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the general gist of Dan's comments on the other post about SDBG.

I just triple checked that the dlls I have in situ are those in the beta 279 release and they are.

Mind it does raise the question as to why for you the demo ran ok.

I wonder if it could be related to OS. Again I'm windows 7, are you or are you running that Windows 8 or 10 rubbish Wink

Oh and I disabled my virus checker too (I use AVG 2018 Free), just in case as it always checks at first runtime any executable created. No difference
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4, can you confirm for which OS and which version exactly the example runs ok for you. Thanks.
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Windows 10-64, but I think that you should not attribute the problems that you ran into to either the version of Windows or the versions of the various components of FTN95.

I can reproduce your second error (Error 343, from FTN95.EXE) by compiling for 32-bit when SRC.EXE is either not found by FTN95.EXE or cannot be run for some reason.

I even ran into the first error (attempt to read from address 1) once, but I do not know how to reproduce it without fail.

When /64 is specified, when FTN95 attempts to run SRC or SLINK64 and those EXEs are not found (or cannot be run), FTN95 fails to produce an output file but gives no hint of having failed. I think that this deficiency must be fixed soon. As it is, one has to list the directory contents to see if an EXE, OBJ or RES file was produced, or look for the signatures of SRC/SLINK to be output when they are run.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FTN95 fails to produce an output file but gives no hint of having failed.

FTN95 will provide a failure message in the next release.
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
The warning about WINDOW_UPDATE@ can be ignored. This routine is unusual in that it can take arguments of various types. The linker has noted what it thinks might be an inconsistency and issued a warning.

Paul, there is a discrepancy between the interface of WINDOW_UPDATE@ in mswin.mod (which is compiled from mswinmod.f90), in which WINDOW_UPDATE@ is declared with the attributes EXTERNAL and INTEGER*4; i.e., it is an integer function.

In contrast, in demo.f95 as well as at https://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/dialog/updatingwindows.aspx, WINDOW_UPDATE@ appears to be a subroutine.

Thus, the discrepancy is between having a return value and none, rather than about the type of the argument(s). Please clarify.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4

Thank you for pointing out this discrepancy.

mswinmod.f90 is either an old file from an earlier installation or it is included in the current installer by mistake.

window_update@ is located in the clrwin module which is compiled from clrwinmod.f95. It is also in clearwin.ins. In these files it is a subroutine.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4, thanks for your feedback, at least I know I'm not going mad !
Quote:

I can reproduce your second error (Error 343, from FTN95.EXE) by compiling for 32-bit when SRC.EXE is either not found by FTN95.EXE or cannot be run for some reason.

this is exactly what I boiled it down to (it exists on my system but just fails somewhere inside) with just running src.exe with a single resource defined.

Very odd indeed.

I wonder how far hi goes back (in version of ftn95 that is).
johnham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Beta 279 Namelist Reply with quote

See the following test program using Beta279. Generates IOSTAT=202 reading from file. Reads correctly in this instance, but not in others.
PROGRAM FIXFORMNL
C This program test the namelist statement
INTEGER L1,L2,L3,L4,L5,L6,L7,L8
C Define namelist variables
NAMELIST / BINP2 / L1,L2,L3,L4
NAMELIST / BINP3 / L5,L6,L7,L8
C Open & read input file, check IOSTAT
OPEN(UNIT=9,FILE='DataNameList.txt')
READ(9,BINP2,IOSTAT=ICODE2)
READ(9,BINP3,IOSTAT=ICODE3)
PRINT *, 'ICODE2 =', ICODE2
PRINT *, 'ICODE3 =', ICODE3
CLOSE(9)
C Check output
PRINT *, L1,L2,L3,L4
PRINT *, L5,L6,L7,L8
OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='FFNL.OUT')
WRITE(10,20)L1,L2,L3,L4,L5,L6,L7,L8
WRITE(10,25)ICODE2,ICODE3
CLOSE(10)
20 FORMAT(8I2)
25 FORMAT(2I5)
END

DataNameList.txt
&BINP2 L1=1, L2=2, L3=3, L4=4 &END
&BINP3 L5=5, L6=6, L7=7, L8=8 &END

FFNL.OUT
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
202 202

Thank you for all you do.
John
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The input items for each namelist input should be terminated by a '/' character instead of '&End'.

Some compilers allowed other ways of formatted namelist input, including the use of '$'. Better not to rely on any of these non-standard ways.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used namelists so here is the question: when namelist is used - at compile/link or at run time?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

NAMELIST (which I don't use either) is a way of labelling data values which otherwise appear as semi- (or totally-) incomprehensible list of numbers etc in a datafile. The downside is that the user preparing the datafile has to know the corresponding internal variable names. It therefore appears in the source code, and the corresponding names have to appear in the datafile.

In a fully-fledged Windows program, where the user inputs data interactively and then saves the file, it's a moot point as to whether the plain list of data is that much of a difficulty, and I can see that NAMELiST might have a use if the programmer wants it.

Eddie
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A namelist allows one to keep input data in a self-documenting style. Consider, for example, the thermodynamic state of a pure substance, which can be specified by any two independent properties from the set T, p, v, u, h, s, a, g. The program contains the declaration

Code:
NAMELIST /state/ T, p, v, u, h, s, a, g

and input statements such as

Code:
READ (lun, NML=state)

The corresponding input data can, for example, be

Code:
&state p = 0.1013, T = 25 /

for one state, and

Code:
&state p = 0.1013, s = 2.53 /

for another. Note that (i) the input data can appear in any order, since each value is labelled by the name of the variable that is intended to receive it; (ii) the variables whose values are altered as a result of the READ(NML=) can be any subset of the variables declared in the NAMELIST. You read only those variables that you wish to change, without having to change the READ statement; had you used an ordinary READ, you would probably have needed to specify a FORMAT specification appropriate for the list of variables being input.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a namelist sceptic.
It appears to be a data input format suited for the program developer, rather than the user.
However it does have some flexibility that is of interest.

mecej4, for the case you outline where data inputs are optional, is there an easy way to find out what values have been updated, or do you have to check values against a previously set invalid value to confirm the value was updated by the namelist statement ?

I have struggled for years, either
a) re-writing a flexible user input approach, something like:

DO
call get_next_token (...)
call get_token_value (...)
select case (token)
case ...
END DO

or
b) giving up, generating data in excel, dumping as a .prn file and reading a fixed format data layout, usually with some section headings.

I am at the stage now where my finite element data generator is a mix of Excel and Fortran, prefering the fixed layout data input option for my analysis program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: