forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 beta testing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: FTN95 beta testing Reply with quote

The latest FTN95 and DLLs are available for beta testing via the following download link. This is for users who have v8.30 and want to test the latest fixes. An archive called demo.zip contains an additional program that illustrates new features in ClearWin+. This archive should be extracted to its own folder.

Please do not post replies on this thread relating to %pl or %fr failures.

Please be careful to create backup versions and make sure that each file is copied to its corresponding installation folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4xhgkdz71viqrf/Beta279.zip?dl=0
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could I just check with you Paul,
the file saldlibc64.lib in the download appears to be the v8.3(Personal) file unchanged (dated 13/3/2018 at 07.30) as it was also in previous beta169 ... is this correct ? All the other files are updated versions.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is correct. That file only needs to change when exports used by clearwin64.dll are added to salflibc64.dll (very rare). It is usually rebuilt for a full release just to make it look right.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

Problems Compiling the demo.f95 program

Now I sat down and tried to simply run the beta279 demo programs.

I'm on Windows 7 on an old acer laptop.

The ebTabs.f95 program is fine.
It Compiles and runs under both 32bit & 64bit.
This new feature looks like it will be very useful.

However the same isn't true of demo.f95 however.

For 32bit compilation:-
an Access Violation is produced at the end of the compile step, as shown below:-

If I close this error window another one then pops up thus:-

Note - although it says 'run Time Error' this is still in compile phase.

Now compiling under the 64bit compiler, a different scenario occurs:-

First the compile phase appears to omplete OK,although as you can see below I get x3 'Comments' messages (in GREEN) about some variables will be truncated above a certqain length, as shown here.
No idea what that's allabout.

But then , when I try to LINK under 64bit I get this error message ....

I don't understand this error message. clrwin.ICO exists, you can see it in the explorer window to the right of the error wiindow.

Any ideas why this is happening Paul ?

''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Silver: I have seen similar problems occur when (by mistake) I used a PATH setting that caused a the FTN95 DLLs were not all from the same release or if some of the DLLs and the compiler (FTN95.EXE) were not from the same release.

Here is what I see from compiling demo.f95 from the 8.30.169 release, using only the .169 release tools, 32-bit mode.

1. The warnings regarding variable I being given a value but never used are appropriate, but the wrong line numbers are shown. The lines containing the assignment to variable 'I' are 261 and 533, whereas the messages give 259 and 526.

2. When there is more than one such assignment to a variable the value of which is never used later, only the first instance is listed. This is appropriate, although "...only the first occurrence is flagged..." would be more helpful in fixing the code to remove those warnings.

3. Linking demo.obj produces the puzzling warning message
Quote:
WARNING - Module component WINDOW_UPDATE@ has been defined differently here than previously in object file s:\FTN95\demo\demo\demo.obj (s:\FTN95\demo\demo\demo.obj)

Is there something that we should fix so that this linker warning goes away? The EXE that is produced appears to run fine (I did not check if the graphical output and GUI behaviour are correct).

In 64-bit mode, we again see the behavior noted in Items 1 and 2 above, but not 3. Instead, the 64-bit EXE fails, with a pop up saying "clrwin is not available as an icon resource at address 1c008559". John reported seeing this pop up at the link stage, but if he used /LGO the demarcation between linking and execution may not be obvious. The 32-bit compilation logs a call to the resource compiler "[Silverfrost SRC/WIN32 Ver 4.07 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 2018]", whereas the 64-bit compilation does not do so; perhaps the latter failed to call a 64-bit built-in version of SRC to process the RESOURCES section of the source file DEMO.F95. This problem occurs only if the compilation and linking are done separately. If the /link or /lgo options are used, no problem is seen, and an invocation of SRC.EXE is flagged.

As far as compiler-linker behaviour as applied to DEMO.F95 is concerned, I find that the new beta release is no different. In short, if you use the /link or /lgo option with /64, the new beta release produces a 64-bit EXE that runs fine.

Last edited by mecej4 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both programs work correctly for me but I tested using Plato under Windows 10 and not Windows 7.

The warning about WINDOW_UPDATE@ can be ignored. This routine is unusual in that it can take arguments of various types. The linker has noted what it thinks might be an inconsistency and issued a warning.

The problem about the missing icon relates to the need to use /r on the SRC command line when compiling the resource script. The linker should then be presented with the resulting .res file. I tested from Plato so I guess that Plato sorts this out automatically.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, May be good idea to post the full this beta release with the installer on your website. I was unable to run my programs with this beta from start. Sometimes the mix of releases do not work well for testers. Specifically sensitive is Clearwin+ part of the FTN95.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mecej4 for your input.
It don't think it can be a problem with PATH etc ... because all I've done is replace the 6 dlls, and the .EXE in the already existing installation and directory and the 2x MOD's & the .INS in the 'include' sub-directory.
After Paul's comment (thanks lude'Paul) about the RESOURCES file I removed the resources into a seperate file (RESOURCES.RC) leaving just the main code in (demo2.f95)and created the following .bat file:-
Quote:
FTN95 "demo2.f95" /64
SRC RESOURCES /r
SLINK64
LO demo2
LO RESOURCES
testrun.exe

and when it's run the error about the clrwin.ICO file no longer occurs but the Access Violation error is still there, and no executable is created !
So no more ideas of what's causing this Access Violation ?
How should I procede to track it down ? Debugger ? ... if so, how ?

Last edited by John-Silver on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seing Dan's comment, and noting mecej4 that you say that the beta279 creates the .exe ok for you, could it be related to me using the Personal Version combined with what Dan says ?
or maybe something related to the beta files being generated from PLATO but used in command line ?
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Silver:

You do not need a batch file for such a simple job; however, if you use one, don't expect some lines in the batch file to be treated as commands and some lines to be input directives for the linker.

The personal edition produces EXEs that differ from paid-up compiler generated EXEs only in that the former throw up a banner for a few seconds.

If you give the linker a file name with no suffix, it will add ".obj" by default. Therefore, you must explicitly add ".res" to the compiled resource file.

The following commands produced an EXE and ran it for me.

Code:
ftn95 demo2.f95 /64
src resources /r
slink64 demo2.obj resources.res /file:demo2
demo2
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mecej4, but even running your script produces exactly the děsame Access Violation.

My version was based on this:
https://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/util/slinkcommands.aspx
so I still don't see why one has to put the .res on the end.

But as it fails anyway it's not the answer.

However, I have traced it being simply down to the RESOURCES compilation !!!

If I just execute that line in your script I get the same access violation

Even if I remove the /r i.e. just run: SRC RESOURCES
I get the Access violation

Just to be clear, this is what I have in my RESOURCES file:

Quote:
!===============================================================================================
RESOURCES
clrwin ICON clrwin.ico
bitmap1 BITMAP find1.bmp
icon1 ICON red.ico
image1 IMAGE sphero.jpg
image2 IMAGE device.png
closed BITMAP closeb.bmp
opened BITMAP openb.bmp
red ICON red.ico
green ICON green.ico
blue ICON blue.ico
cyan ICON cyan.ico
magenta ICON magenta.ico
yellow ICON yellow.ico
blank ICON blank.ico
buttons BITMAP designToolbar.bmp
!===============================================================================================

which has been removed from the demo.f95 to create demo2.f95

So, why isn't SRC working on my machine ???
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resource scripts have the .rc extension and a different form to that shown above.

Why not just run the demo from Plato?
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the first two lines, i.e., the lines starting with "!==" and "RESOURCES", as well as the last line, with "!==", from the input file to SRC.EXE, which should be given the suffix ".RC", as Paul noted.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis done oh wise ones ...
Quote:
clrwin ICON clrwin.ico
bitmap1 BITMAP find1.bmp
icon1 ICON red.ico
image1 IMAGE sphero.jpg
image2 IMAGE device.png
closed BITMAP closeb.bmp
opened BITMAP openb.bmp
red ICON red.ico
green ICON green.ico
blue ICON blue.ico
cyan ICON cyan.ico
magenta ICON magenta.ico
yellow ICON yellow.ico
blank ICON blank.ico
buttons BITMAP designToolbar.bmp

... which not the slightest bit of difference.
The file was aleady with the .RC extension btw.

The command
SRC RESOURCES
or
SRC RESOURCES.RC

with or without /r produces the Access Violation

What does this message
'Attempted to Read from Location 000001'
in the 'Access Violation' actually mean ? what is location 000001 ?

As for
Quote:
Why not just run the demo from Plato?

well

Quote:
Keep it simple, when you get too complex you forget the obvious.
Al McGuire

Having said that, just to please you, I did run the whole program demo.f95 .... in PLATO Smile

and it gives exactly the same Access Violation error !

Quote:
Access violation:
The instruction at address 10012015 attempted to read from location 00000001
10011ffe strcmpl [+0017]

0041573d getopt(<ptr><ptr>char) [+2509]

00401000 main [+0175]

eax=00000000 ebx=0377c268 ecx=0050e2e8
edx=001fc0e7 esi=00000001 edi=0050e2e8
ebp=0377c220 esp=0377c204 IOPL=0
ds=002b es=002b fs=0053
gs=002b cs=0023 ss=002b
flgs=00010202 [NC OP NZ SN DN NV]
0360/2820 TSTK=5 [ ]

10012015 lodsb

10012016 movb cl,[eax+0x101e41d8]

[SLINK64 v2.01, Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd. 2015-2018]
***Resource file SRCTEMP@.res does not exist

The error is clearly with SRC.exe (It's even noted in the address bar at the top of the screenshot where I first posted it (which was for 32bit)

I even ran SRC RESOURCES2.RC where the resource file contained just ONE of the lines, nothing more. Same error.

It get wierder and wierder.
If I was a supersticious man I'd say Dan's Devil had migrated LOL

When we find it the reason will be Oooooooh So Simple !

#GarethSouthgateWould
tell me to keep concentrated, keep it simple, and if I'm still stuck in 11days time (he's not free before then Smile ) offer to fly straight back after the medals presentation, debug it for me even though he has zero programming skills.

What a man .... Silverfrost, Silverfrost sign him up, ...Silver-frost ... sign him up :O)
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a corrupted or otherwise faulty version of the resource compiler. My SRC.EXE is 1,221,632 bytes long, dated 03/13/2018 (mm/dd/yyyy) and has a CRC checksum of 1221632. It prints a version number of 4.07 when run.

P.S. Correction: the checksum is 3295731287 according the the Cygwin cksum utility, and F1BB23AE according to the crc32.exe from http://esrg.sourceforge.net/utils_win_up/md5sum/ . The discrepancy needs to be resolved, but I'll leave that for another time.

Last edited by mecej4 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: