forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start using debuggers, people
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar

I am not familiar with the details but if you put

Code:
idum8=2147483647_8

into an FTN95 program then the kind value is out of range unless you are using /alt_kinds. Otherwise default values are in the range 1 to 4.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are correct, 64-bit constants are truncated to 32-bit (in sdbg and sdbg64). I will look at it.
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

thanks for your hint, I tried it and command
Code:

ftn95 sdbg_problem1.for /alt_kinds /debug /64 /link

did not produce the error any more (having added _8 to the constants of the assignments to idum8 and idum88 in the ftn95 code mentioned above).

Regards,
Dietmar
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar

It would be safer to avoid /alt_kinds and append _4 (for example).
Hopefully all the bugs relating to /alt_kinds have now been fixed but I am not that confident.
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am using sdbg64 quite often when porting a GUI application from 32 to 64 bit. I happened to run into a subroutine containing ENTRY statements und unfortunately could not set breakpoints in the lines after the entry statements. This works for the 32 version of ftn95/sdbg.

Please look at file myentry_subroutine.for
Code:

INTEGER*4 MYINT,MYRESULT

MYINT=33

call SR1(MYINT,MYRESULT)
       write(*,*) MYRESULT
       call SR2(MYINT,MYRESULT)
       write(*,*) MYRESULT
       call SR3(MYINT,MYRESULT)
       write(*,*) MYRESULT

end

SUBROUTINE SR1( MYINT,MYRESULT )
       INTEGER*4 MYINT,MYRESULT
       MYRESULT = MYINT
       RETURN

ENTRY SR2 ( MYINT,MYRESULT )
       MYRESULT = 3 * MYINT
       RETURN

ENTRY SR3 ( MYINT,MYRESULT )
       MYRESULT = MYINT + 1
      RETURN
      END

and compile it via
Code:

ftn95 myentry_subroutine.for /debug /link /64

I may set a breakpoint to line 16, however, I cannot set breakpoints a lines 20,21,23 and 24 which I should be able to, shouldn't I?

Regards,
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add similar problem that SDBG64 as opposed to SDBG starts its debugging process at the wrong first line (red line). To reproduce that one can use Polyhedron test suite of Fortran-90 benchmarks which is free for downloading. Take the smallest size fortran sources like channel2.f90 or tfft2.f90
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious is company aware of a lot of work that needs the SDBG64? It is like in deep beta state. Still a lot of crashes with not identified by the compiler exceptions, the whole subroutines of tens of thousands of lines may not allow to set a single debug breakpoint...Try using /CHECK and see that yourselves.

And what was surprising in its reliability is that compared to SDBG it is like one step forward ten steps back. Was it completely rewritten from zero by some reason? I did not re-write my codes when moved to 64bits, all what was necessary is just minor almost cosmetic changes.

I do not find explanation for the devilry that FTN95 was probably the only software which moved to 64 bit so painfully. The entire world switched to 64 and no one even noticed be it processors, OSes, even mobile phones with all their billion apps. The only explanation i see, continuing football theme started by John-S, is some difference with others: Salford is the home of famous Manchester United which is like a heavy drug for their fans Smile
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy !!!!! less of the insults please.

First, I don't think Silverfrost are actually embedded in the City (yes it's a city !) of Salford anymore, more likely in the leafy southern suburbs or the bustling re-generated town centre.
Maybe someone could shed some light on where HQ actually is these days ?
Or should that be 'light up the shed' which is current day HQ Wink

More importantly, the subtle difference between 'Old Trafford' and 'Silverfrost HQ' is that one is the 'Theatre of Dreams' ... the other is 'The Theatre of Screams' !!!! LOL Wink :O)

... but of course we shouldn't expect those living in the land of 'world series soccer' to understand the significance of god's mown pasture Wink ... hence why we've been living under the guise of being technically the richest club in the universe whilst actually being perpetually on the verge of being bankrupt !

Manchester is RED. SAFRA. LUHG. TPOAE. COTN. Smile Smile Smile simply put, they're the Georgie Best, god rest his soul Smile
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now pose a question to Paul, Robert and David .... just one word answer required ......... RED ? or Blue ? (no pressure) :O)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this football of which you speak?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, oh dear dear ..... oh dear dear dear ..... next time you're in Manchester robert , just go up to random people and ask 'are you red or blue' !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: