forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

breakpoints not cleared?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: breakpoints not cleared? Reply with quote

While debugging a program, I set a breakpoint and didn't clear it prior to exiting the debugger. Following the debugging session, I exited plato. The next time I went into plato, there was a "dot" next to that line. I ran the debugger, cleared the breakpoint, exited plato, restarted plato, and the dot's still there and the breakpoint is set when I debug again. I know I can get rid of the dot/breakpoint by editing the {project}.ini file, but I can't believe there's not a "better way". This is using 5.01 PE by the way.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory you can set and reset break points from a Plato view of the file or from an SDBG view of the file after launching SDBG from Plato. If one method is not working, try the other one.

The behaviour may be affected by setting or resetting the option "Integrate with SDBG" in the Plato Options dialog. Getting Plato to converse with SDBG can be a little tricky at times so if you experience problems you should reset (i.e. switch off) this option.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
In theory you can set and reset break points from a Plato view of the file or from an SDBG view of the file after launching SDBG from Plato. If one method is not working, try the other one.

Maybe in theory, but in practice (at least on my machine), I can set and clear them from the debugger that plato launches (I'm guessing sdbg, I haven't changed the default). The problem, as I see it, is that sdbg sets the breakpoint and tells plato "there's a breakpoint here", but when sdbg clears the breakpoint, either plato isn't told, or plato doesn't listen. I can't say, with any certainty, which is the case.

PaulLaidler wrote:

The behaviour may be affected by setting or resetting the option "Integrate with SDBG" in the Plato Options dialog. Getting Plato to converse with SDBG can be a little tricky at times so if you experience problems you should reset (i.e. switch off) this option.

It has always been off on this machine.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well part of the problem solved. There was a PEBKAC. I was using ctl/alt rather than ctl/shift in plato. With that problem fixed, I can set and clear breakpoints in plato and have sdbg "understand what I want to do". There still appears to exist a problem when sdbg clears a breakpoint that plato "doesn't get the message".
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try switching on the option to "Integrate with SDBG".
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have observed this behaviour too. Indeed, I think I may have reported it in the past. As Bruce says, editing the project file is crude but effective. As far as I can see, in Bruce's terms, it seems to be a problem of Plato not listening rather than not being told. I hadn't come across the "Integrate with SDBG" option. I shall locate and experiment with that.

Bruce, WTF is a PEBKAC? Shocked

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please no swearing in this forum! Not even in acronyms.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry. I actually thought you were referring to PEBKAC at first. The other one doesn't even register as swearing with me any more.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

sparge wrote:

Bruce, WT(explitive deleted Smile) is a PEBKAC? Shocked

Andy

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: