forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenGL Versaion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: OpenGL Versaion Reply with quote

What version of OpenGL is included with FTN95?

I'm looking to experiment with this and wondered what documentation level I should be using.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what is latest version, but it worked with no problems from day one all these decades.

When you will try, make small samples which will work, collect and post them. I can send you my small examples for everyone to learn OpenGL but they still do not fit into posting here. I posted here few ones with difficulties (using some file sharing sites which disappeared over time) around 15 years back but this forum seems still has the same length limitations set at the end of last century and the master password to change it was lost Smile Seriously, this is totally incomprehensible. During these couple decades the internet speeds and harddrive sizes increased by 2-3 orders of magnitude while price to transfer of unit of information and price of storage decreased by the same 3 orders but this forum look, feel and posting limits are still lost in old times...

Try to find the guy's by nickname Djip Fortran examples to learn OpenGL for Compaq/ Intel Fortran. They are based on NeHe tutorial for other computer languages. There exist also other Fortran OpenGL resources on the internet but i did not look at them in detail.

Last edited by DanRRight on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:59 am; edited 7 times in total
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging in to the .ins file and not finding some higher version parameters, it would appear that the version is 1.1.

But, that is simply a guess!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClearWin+ provides an interface to the OpenGL library via winio@ and %og. The relevant DLL is opengl32.dll and this is usually provided by Microsoft as part of the operating system.

You can search for the DLL from Windows Explorer and then look at the properties to get the current version number.

If you need to use functions that are not listed in opengl.ins then it will be necessary to construct the interface following the example of functions that are already listed.

The only exception to this is that certain very special (e.g. teapot) functions are not available in opengl32.dll and these are provided in the Silverfrost folder via glaux.dll (for 32 bits) and in clearwin64.dll (for 64 bits).
wahorger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. Very helpful.
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I've found a few examples from DJIP, but it's usually a comment or a forum response. No coding examples.

I was "successful" in getting my application to write the graphics to the window. I put that in quotes because it wasn't exactly as I had expected. I think the basic problem is with the buffering and which one is currently being displayed versus the one being written to.

I created a green screen and expected to write into that. But nothing shows. Until I maximize the window, then the graphics shows, but on a black background.

There is an extra level of complexity up from creating a PDF. Same general concept, now complicated with 3D, scaling/transformation matrices, clipping, etc.

Any insights will be gladly accepted!
Bill
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
The Fortran and 10 other languages examples are present in 30+ lessons. First 5 for example are here:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/lessons_01__05/22004/

But I tried them 20 years ago using FTN77 and things did not go smooth, I do not remember why, may be because they were more Fortran-90 then 77. I have 3 examples I made myself modifying Salfordf OpenGL examples with the help of DJIP. I can send them to you and anyone, just send me personal message with your email

All OpenGL examples are relatively long, but their structure is standard, all consist of the same standard subroutines almost for every possible case, like the objects, you look at them ones and never look again (for example, how subroutines have to be called in sequence, or respond on mouse and keyboard). Only one subroutine is every time specific which makes 3D object. And may be another is Clearwin GUI.

It is very important and will be very easy to make Silverfrost-specific OpenGL examples if people know some other languages. There is a lot of coolest tricks in these lessons. Combined with Clearwin+ they will cause everyone's jaw dropping as no one will believe that this perfection is possible purely in Fortran.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are six ClearWin+ OpenGL sample programs in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\FTN95 Examples\OpenGL.

I have checked them and then all run for 32 bits but may need modifying for 64 bits.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were very good examples. I used them and essentially nothing else to learn OpenGL. Who then at Salford wrote these (or modified from written initially in C) examples back in 90th ? Would be great if Silverfrost look at the NeHe website I mentioned above and make lessons there run with FTN95. Some of lessons were already re-written from C to Compaq Fortran but still may need changes to be compatible with FTN95.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: