forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Many Strings to The Silverfrost Bow ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: How Many Strings to The Silverfrost Bow ? Reply with quote

Not really FTN95 related but ...

Browsing through the 'Announcements' forum (as one very rarely does) I came across this from 'the very early days of Silverfrosts incarnation

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=25

which led me to googling out this (not clearly linked from anywhere on FTN95 branch of the website)

https://www.silverfrost.com/2/solar_kingdom/overview.aspx

So, what was (is ?) this all about then ?

Was this what Silverfrost were doing back in 2004 before the take-over of Salford Fortran ?

Looks very interesting.
Seems only to have been left dangling with just a v.1.x demo available.

Are there any other bushels under the Silverfrost haystack or are you dedicated now to FTN95 ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a daft question, John. Also not a daft question is how many variants or options are there in FTN95?

A 32-bit version
A 64-bit version that appears to have been developed from scratch
A .NET version, with multiple plug-ins
Clearwin+ for 32 and 64 bit versions
Visual Clearwin
Plato
... and to save me listing them, versions of linker, debugger, library manager, SCION blah blah blah. Remember that it isn't just doing bug fixes, but also coping with the changes imposed by MS in Windows and Visual Studio, AND developing new facilities.

Based on a sample of one, I find it hard to believe that any user requires everything, or that any user requires absolutely every facility even in the subset of FTN95 that they use. So it is easy to say things like: "I don't know why they bother with X ..." when perhaps X is vital to another user.

Frankly, I don't know how they do it, and Paul deserves enormous credit for his role in keeping it all going.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% Eddie - every developers nightmare is trying to juggle versions/offshoots/add- ons and the credit is well deserved in the case of FTN95.
You also forgot to add that thankless task of merging in user suggestions/demands/bug fixes into a 'live' deelopment situation.

My question was because I was just curious as to the existence of this apparently completely unrelated program to explore the universe and how it came about and where it went to. I've not found any trace of it anywhere except a shareware version on a few sharware sites.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anyone tested Solar Kingdom demo? It complains about missing d3drm.dll
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Solar Kingdom works on recent operating systems. Microsoft decided to not ship d3drm.dll any more and it is key to the program. A few years ago we copied the dll from an older OS and it did work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: