forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEALLOCATE dangling Fortran Pointer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moorthy

I am not able to comment on the details here but you may find that you can do all that you want by using ALLOCATABLE rather that POINTER and then omit "=>NULL()".
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Yes. but still these 4 arrays only, BS, LIN, TRFR and HDR are not getting deallocated. Why it is so. No Pointers are still in allocated state, rather. As the same array types are deallocated, then, the rest of the similar type of arrays, have to be deallocated. But why it is not happening. Let me understand a bit more.

But I find the similarities that one array in each type are strongly rooted here, which can not be deallocated.. This is not the standard practice, hence want to investigate.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moorthy

Can you provide a short sample program to illustrate this?
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

narayanamoorthy_k wrote:
Paul,
Yes. but still these 4 arrays only, BS, LIN, TRFR and HDR are not getting deallocated. Why it is so. No Pointers are still in allocated state, rather. As the same array types are deallocated, then, the rest of the similar type of arrays, have to be deallocated. But why it is not happening. Let me understand a bit more.

But I find the similarities that one array in each type are strongly rooted here, which can not be deallocated.. This is not the standard practice, hence want to investigate.

You are welcome to investigate, but it is impossible for us to assist you with doing so because all that you have shown us so far are a number of ALLOCATE and DEALLOCATE statements. You really need to provide a complete test program to demonstrate/establish the problem.
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, mecej4,

Absolutely, Agreed. First-of-all, my program is with 5000 lines of code, so I am extracting the codes which reproduce this error to demonstrate to you. I will prepare and share it to you to further check..

Secondly, I am not trying to investigate for the benefit of my own, but, rather to improve our FTN95 compiler strengths. Its a bit contribution from my side too to Silverfrost.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting is that I just got another dangling error "Reference through dangling Fortran POINTER" using 32bit compiler. I knew when I was getting this error that there was not enough RAM for the arrays as there was no any pointer used in this place. But when got this for the first time I remember I lost a day or two searching what was the problem.

As to reporting errors - there would be great if everyone reported all the problems they get as well as any suggestions. Here is lifetime experience: no matter which topic it is, even the shortage of electric power in the area affective thousands of houses, only 1 off 100 people or more bother to report, others get shy or wait for others to do that. No matter what the country in the world, I was first around 3 times calling electric shortages around 10pm returning to dark home, people in the entire region were sitting for few hours in the darkness waiting who the hell will call first Smile. Only when there is fire people report quick, in 2 out of also 3 cases when there was a fire nearby I was not the first to call.

Meantime the programming bugs sometimes could be very tricky taking days and weeks to search (twice I hunted bug for a month, and couple too devious bugs I still can not find for more then decade, they are not in the often used parts of the code or workarounds are used instead. Sharing experience and best practice with the Clearwin+ GUI is also important).
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

narayanamoorthy_k wrote:
First-of-all, my program is with 5000 lines of code, so I am extracting the codes which reproduce this error to demonstrate to you.

The shorter, the better, but a 5000 line program is not unmanageable if it is complete and can be compiled and run to exhibit the problem.

Quote:
Secondly, I am not trying to investigate for the benefit of my own, but, rather to improve our FTN95 compiler strengths.

We all benefit whenever a bug is reported in sufficient detail regarding the circumstances in which it surfaces. The reporting is a prerequisite to countermeasures being taken, whether by the compiler vendor (creating bug fixes to be put in place by the next release) or by users (placing checks and safeguards in their code to circumvent the bug, if possible).
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Sure mecej4. I am planning a very shorter code to demonstrate this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: