forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native %pl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silicondale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to echo John's words - very much appreciate Paul's responsiveness. What other compiler developer has such close and productive interaction with their user base?

Having said that, I also agree about the small proportion of users who actually participate in this forum. However, this is probably quite normal. I have been on the other side of the fence in the past, as an applications system developer supporting a large international user community, of whom fewer than 5% ever took part in any user forums and meetings (this was before the days of the Internet and we had to go globetrotting to meet the users in person).

Specifically on %pl - speaking from personal experience, I found SIMPLEPLOT didn't do everything i needed, and developed my own graphics library using %gr and the Salford primitives such as draw_line_between@. Fortunately made easier by adapting an existing library that I had used before in different software environments. But of course if everyone does that, the same wheels get reinvented many times. That's why I'd really like to see the native %pl expand to something that can replace my (and anyone else's) old clunky code!
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clunky maybe, but reliable I'm sure, or 'robust' as it's termed these days on the bullsh*^ bingo cards for work meetings Smile .

%pl is getting there, slowly, but is still far from reliable as far as some grass roots basics go.
Can't wait to see how the latest enhancements perform. Is the beta dlls release imminent any time soon Paul ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

The next general release of intermediate DLLs will probably have to wait until the personal edition of FTN95 catches up.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, my question was a 2-edged sword as it was intended to out a reply to both questions !
So when is the personal edition planned to be released ?
From your words above ('catches up') do I understand correctly that it's not a simple exercise and that changes are applied to 2 sets of code seperately ?
I thought it was just a question of applying the necessary 'restrictions' to the same full version code ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I don't have a simple answer to your questions. You will appreciate that the personal edition is free and is aimed at students learning Fortran who have no interest in the latest developments. All they need is a stable product.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take 100 students and put them in a closed room and I guarantee at least 75% would disagree with your statement there.
I don't see the difficulty in answering the questions, nothing tricky there.
I think you already said a couple of times in the past couple of months that the next dlls are dependent on the personal edition being released so as to be at the same stage and capable of integrating them, otherwise the 1ì2 versions would be out of step.
silicondale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a task which may or may not be implementable in native %pl. Sonar data consists of a set of N wavy lines which are separate. N is a large number which can vary from one plot to another. Each wavy line contains m points, where m can be different for each line.

This is what they should look like:

but the lines all get linked together in native %pl, like this:

Is there a way of suppressing the unwanted line segments?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does each wavy line have its own y array?
silicondale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each wavy line is a set of x(i) y(i) pairs. All I need to do is separate the lines so that the last element of each wavy line isn't joined to the first element of the next one.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some code that illustrates how the y array or arrays are constructed?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicondale, what you hav above then is a SINGLE CURVE whereas you want 39 curves.

This is a job for the 'new facility' in v8.2 is it not, the one which allows specification of n curves via 2-d arrays (for x and y co-ords seperately) ?

What's the 'form' of the &pl[native] command you're using to get the above plot then ?
silicondale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper plot was generated using old coding:
call draw_line_between@ (iu1,iv1,iu2,iv2,irgb)
where each line segment is drawn separately by computing the pixel positions iu1,iv1 and iu2,iv2 for the ends of each line segment

The lower plot uses
i=winio@('%`pl[x_array,link=lines,symbol=0]&',
1 iwvm,ihvm,NUMDAT,xval,yval,ighandle)
where all of the wavy lines are held in the same xval,yval arrays - of necessity since it isn't practical to have umpteen separate arrays.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that you get the join because to ask for it. Make sure that the end point of one wiggly line is not the start point of the next.
silicondale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first wiggly line ends at xval(n),yval(n)
The second wiggly line starts at xval(n+1),yval(n+1) and goes on to xval(n+m),yval(n+m) ... and so on, for several wiggly lines. In the sample plots there are about 40 of them, but the exact number can vary.

So how, using %pl, do I suppress the line segments n to n+1 etc. so that the end point of one line is NOT the start point of the next?

Yes, I know you can set the number of graphs such as
call winop@ ('%pl[N_GRAPHS=10]')
but as N_GRAPHS gets bigger, the final i=winio@('%`pl.... call gets steadily longer because of all the arrays for the N_GRAPHS different data sets, and has to be coded separately for every possible different N_GRAPHS value.

Maybe I have missed the answer in this very long thread, but just how do you plot 40 separate wiggly lines using %pl ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the release that includes v8.20 of FTN95 then look at item 394 in the document cwplus.enh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 21 of 28

Jump to: