forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installation fails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Installation fails Reply with quote

The update 8.20.0 will not update. It fails with an error that it cannot overwrite a file that already exists. In this case, it is ftn95.exe.

Since this is an update, shouldn't it overwrite the file?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but there must be something unusual here because it normally works.

If it is the only file that it fails on then I would back it up and delete it from the installation folder.

If it fails for all files then maybe you need to install under administrator priveleges.
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had something to do with permissions, and it would also appear that McAfee was getting in the way. Took the last hour to figure it out.

I had to delete the entire folder (finally!), and did the install with only the 8.20.0 and it all appears to be working!

Now on to testing the code again.....
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I also have issues with Macafee, like it won't let a computer access a networked printer. Time for it to go in the recycling, methinks.
Andre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find v8.20 at all? I am unable to download it.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8.20 is currently only available to "supported" users - those who have purchased a "support" licence.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way what is support license? What it is doing and how it works?

Over quarter century when i use Salford/Silverfrost compilers i purchased these compilers 3 or 4 times (and twice out of my own pocket, so much I liked it, though the most first my use was with the pirated copy Smile. But i'm sure that without it i'd never try this company software as initially in the beginning of 90th it was 3-4x or even more overpriced over all other competition compilers sometimes reaching $1500, specifically compared to University software store discount prices where Digital (Compaq) or Microsoft Fortran prices were $200 or even $100. Pirating then was 100% practice not only in China but both South and North Pole and in between) and this licensing option somehow did not cross my view. Some other companies for example offer upgrades when the user for specified sum can upgrade his older version for never. Is this the same?

Last edited by DanRRight on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Some further information is provided here...

http://silverfrost.com/P1001/shop/silverfrost_ftn95.aspx
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is confusing ESD? I do not see anything which tells that you guys offer just the upgrades.
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESD: Electronic Software Distribution - i.e. a download.

FTN95 used to be supplied on a CD. It is now download only.

We will upgrade any version of FTN95 (or FTN77) to the current version.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still it is not clear how the upgrading works.

My suggestion would to add to the usual full version for full price just the software upgrades for reduced price. Kind of like a subscription. The benefit of that is that users can contact the developers directly or via this forum and ask for some specific features to be added or fixed. Of course if you like to keep PE version then these users also can ask for attention specifically with the bug fixes but subscription would offer some priorities
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the situation. Upgrades are cheaper than buying a new licence. The upgrade is a full copy of the compiler. Users can buy 'updates' which gives them access to any upgrades during the year.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in summary ...
1st purchase £349

or full version + first year updates £449
i.e. assuming 1 update is released it effectively costs £100 - a 'saving' of £145

beccause normally an update bought alone costs £245.

All quite resonable pricing in a commercial environment.

The only query being what happens if an update is not released in 1st year (it could happen). I assume in that case SFrost use 'common sense' on a case-by-case basis.

At the end of the day the value of an update depends on its content for the individual user.

Having said that however, I'd have thought that a 'bug-fixes only' FREE update would be available too. After all everyone assumes that a software won't have any bugs and that's what they're paying for.
In other words you just pay for an update if it has 'enhancements'.

Just my opinion.
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump in here, because, as a SW developer, I have no trouble paying for a year of update capability, even if an update doesn't happen in any given year.

I've found this product to be just about as bug free (for what I'm doing and intend to do) as it can be. To be sure, when I do find something, it is usually something very obscure. I enjoy reading the comments on the forum because I always learn something new, and have incorporated a few ideas already.

So, the maintenance cost. Paying that cost, even if in a given year a new release is not made, is an investment on my part for continuation of compiler and library development. I'm not currently using the 64-bit capability. But I am sure that some of my last couple of maintenance fees was used to fund that development. Kind of my gift to you 64-bit users, if in a round-about way.

You are welcome!

For my product, the purchase and an on-going maintenance fee is the only way I can continue to develop and continue to work on the products that my customers use. And to listen to their needs and develop new features. And to fix those danged obscure bugs!
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all very commendable and thank you ! (evn though I'm not a 64bit aficionado, yet). I guess it depends on circumstances. It gets more difficult for example when recommending to a larger company for bulk license purchases and of course depends exactly on what capabilities one needs and if they're in the product. Here's not the place to go into it but there's one big deficiency at the moment for my uses, it's getting better, slowly, but still not yet at the level I need. Hence hesitation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: