forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

porting 32bit to 64bit slink scripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: porting 32bit to 64bit slink scripts Reply with quote

hi,

i'm in the middle of trying to port to 64 bit and find that certain commands in my .SLK scripts aren't supported in the new .LNK ones, specifically:

debug
insert

the first one may not be important but the lack of the second one is going to cause me some issues with trying to maintain compatibility between the two platforms.

Are the any plans to add an "insert" command or is there an easy workaround/alternative?

K
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny

"Insert" appears to be an undocumented SLINK command. You may be the only user that knows about it. All that I can do is to add it to the wish list for SLINK64.

I can't think of an easy workaround other than the obvious "find and replace" in a text editor.
StamK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to update that now the "insert" command in slk files does work in 64bit, BUT only if there are no empty lines.

Somehow if it finds an empty line it thinks that it is the end of file.
so if you load an slk file as below via an insert command:

lo file1.obj

lo file2.obj

it will only load file1.obj in 64bit (fine in 32bit).
StamK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention that in 64bit only one level of nesting is allowed, so if you use "insert" to call an slk file which has another "insert" command, it will fail (fine in 32bit).The error is

***Only one level of 'insert' permitted
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I hope that you can find a way around these limitations.
StamK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called Copy and Paste, and Delete. But obviously a minor (but annoying) bug in the grand scheme of things. Thanks
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it is annoying. SLINK "insert" is an undocumented feature that I did not know about and may have been provided specifically for your company.

SLINK64 is a completely new product so any missing features may be annoying but they are not bugs.

I hope that the basic SLINK64 "insert" command that I have added for you is a step in the right direction.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SLINK64 is a completely new product so any missing features may be annoying but they are not bugs.

I think everyon appreciates that, and that it's not easy tryand develop such a huge project and incude an optimum number of features.
However it would be useful to have a geneal list somewhere in the documentation which highlights the various differences between 32bit and 64 bit link (and compile, and/or other) commands and their parameters.

Not an easy (quick) thing to do I know but it all fits into the magical documentation tapestry of life, as it were.

If ya don't strt somewhere (re documentation and general)you'll never start is probably the most tried and trusted maxim.

Once documentation becomes fragmented, is the only way out then to re-write entirely ? Probably.

BUT, and it's a big BUT, only after consulting and taking opinion from your user base.

Reminds me of a version of NASTRAN which was released (maybe v63?) when they decided to rewrite the whole documentation (or more precisely I think to 'computerise it - it was previously typed) when ssome dicky bright spark (ptonanly a maanager with one eye on the cost of ink Smile) made the decision ..... to eliminate the lines of the cells around the entries in the bulk data cards !!!!

Big mistake, big bill for re-introduction and re-printing and re-distribution !

(Yes they still distributed in printed format .... because it's the best and always will be !)
You can't stick post-its in a computerised version for one thing !)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: