forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window closure puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

I have been seeing some unexpected behaviour in one of my applications when a window is closed manually (everything is fine if the window is closed under program control). So I tried to reproduce the problem in a small illustrative app. I failed (so far), but got some equally unexpected behaviour - leading me to wonder if what I am seeing in the real app is just the same problem manifesting differently in a more complex environment.

In the code below, clicking Load opens a graphics region (having checked to to see if one is already open, and closing it if so) i.e. clicking Load repeatedly should repeatedly open and close a single graphics region window. This window should also be closable by clicking at top right. If the graphics window code uses %cc as a closure control, it gives a floating point stack overflow in the closure control callback where it calls clearwin_info@; and if it uses %`cc as a closure control, the closure control callback does not get called at all. Both outcomes are unexpected (by me anyway) Smile It doesn't matter if the graphics window is closed manually or under program control.

I should say that the original program can have multiple graphics region windows open with associated memory that needs to be freed up, hence the closure control code is rather OTT in this case.

What is going on here?

Andy

program gaga
use callbacks
integer iomain
radio1 = 1
radio2 = 0
ptrgra = 0
iomain = winio@ ('%lw&', cvmain)
iomain = winio@ ('%cn%^bt[Load]&', setgra)
iomain = winio@ ('%ff%nl%fr', 200, 200)
stop
end program gaga

module callbacks
integer cvmain, radio1, radio2, iograp, ptrgra, grawid, hanwin, ctrwin
contains
integer function setgra ()
setgra = 2
if (ptrgra .ne. 0) then
ctrwin = 0
call window_update@ (ctrwin)
end if
grawid = 100
iograp = winio@ ('%gr[user_surface]&', grawid, grawid, ptrgra)
! iograp = winio@ ('%`cc&', auto_clowin)
iograp = winio@ ('%cc&', auto_clowin)
iograp = winio@ ('%hw&', hanwin)
iograp = winio@ ('%cv&', ctrwin)
iograp = winio@ ('%aw', cvmain)
return
end function setgra
integer function auto_clowin ()
integer hanwincur
auto_clowin = 0
hanwincur = clearwin_info@ ('CALL_BACK_WINDOW')
if (hanwincur .eq. hanwin) call clowin (hanwincur)
return
end function auto_clowin
subroutine clowin (hannom)
integer hannom
do
if (hannom .eq. 0) exit ! do-nothing if nothing to do
if (hannom .ne. hanwin) exit ! do-nothing if window handle is unexpected
hanwin = 0
ptrgra = 0
exit ! on normal completion
end do
return
end subroutine clowin
end module callbacks
sparge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Seeems this one got lost in the mix. Ho hum. In the meantime, I've half-answered the question I posed - if the line "use clrwin" is included, the floating point stack fault does not occur.

I've never been clear when it is and isn't necessary to "use clrwin" - advice please?

Also, it is still the case that if %`cc rather than %cc is used, it does not get called - seems like a bug.

Anyway, I've now got code that illustrates the unexpected behaviour I mentioned in the first post. Here it is. The single menu item Read opens a %gr window (having checked for the presence of a previous one, and closed it if so). If this closure before reopening is effected under program control, nothing goes wrong. If however, the window is closed manually, the radio button pair is toggled, unbidden. After the first time, the behaviour does not seem to reoccur (unlike my real app, where it seems to occur repeatedly but unpredictably).

Andy

winapp 0, 0
program radio_gaga
use utilities
integer iomain
! initialise variables
calibrating = 0
measuring = 1
ptrgra = 0
! main window
iomain = winio@ ('%ww&')
iomain = winio@ ('%cv&', cvmain)
iomain = winio@ ('%mn[~Read]&', measuring, makgra)
iomain = winio@ ('%2`ga&', calibrating, measuring)
iomain = winio@ ('%^rb[Calibrating]&', calibrating, update_menu)
iomain = winio@ ('%^rb[Measuring]&', measuring, update_menu)
iomain = winio@ ('%ff%nl%`bg[grey]%fr', 150, 150)
stop
end program radio_gaga

module utilities
integer calibrating, measuring, cvmain, iodial, ptrgra, ctrwin, hanwin
contains
!--------------------------------------------------------------------
integer function makgra ()
makgra = 2
if (ptrgra .ne. 0) then
ctrwin = 0
call window_update@ (ctrwin)
end if
iodial = winio@ ('%ww[no_border,no_maxminbox]&')
iodial = winio@ ('%gr[black,user_surface]&', 100, 100, ptrgra)
iodial = winio@ ('%cv&', ctrwin)
iodial = winio@ ('%hw&', hanwin)
iodial = winio@ ('%aw&', cvmain)
iodial = winio@ ('%cc', auto_clowin)
return
end function makgra
!------------------------------------------------
integer function auto_clowin ()
auto_clowin = 0
hanwin = 0
ptrgra = 0
return
end function auto_clowin
integer function update_menu ()
update_menu = 2
call window_update@ (measuring)
return
end function update_menu
end module utilities
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Andy

I did see your forum item but I simply haven't had the time to respond.
Your questions tend to be quite deep and can take an hour or so to investigate.
The advice given here is free so complex questions may not get a quick response.

Regards

Paul
sparge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I do understand your difficulty. I'm not just looking for free advice - I'm as certain as I can be that this is a bug. Should I have just submitted the code to ftn95@silverfrost.com (as I tend to do that with suspected compiler bugs)?

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Andy

You can leave the issue here if you wish.

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Andy

The original problem was probably that clearwin_info@ needed to be declared as returning an integer.
There is no clear cut rule about when you need "use clrwin". The source code for the module is provided so you can see what is defined in it. The corresponding include file provides an alternative way to get this information.

I agree that %`cc does not work in this context but I do not know why. Please let me know if this is important, i.e. that you need this feature and you cannot find an alternative way of getting what you want.

The problem with the radio buttons must be something to do with the way that %ga works (or does not always work in this case). %ga is one of those features which is OK if it works for you, otherwise it is better to provide the toggle directly in your code via a callback function. In other words, I am not offering to fix %ga.

Regards

Paul
sparge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Thanks for looking at this, Paul.

The original problem was probably that clearwin_info@ needed to be declared as returning an integer. There is no clear cut rule about when you need "use clrwin". The source code for the module is provided so you can see what is defined in it. The corresponding include file provides an alternative way to get this information.

OK - not including "use clrwin" in my original post was an oversight on my part. But why do neither the compiler nor the linker female dog about clearwin_info@ not being declared when that line is omitted?

I agree that %`cc does not work in this context but I do not know why. Please let me know if this is important, i.e. that you need this feature and you cannot find an alternative way of getting what you want.

No - it's not important. I only tried it in case there was some subtlety of timing that meant I was using the wrong variant. Having discovered that it didn't work, I reported it on the assumption that you would want to know about it.

The problem with the radio buttons must be something to do with the way that %ga works (or does not always work in this case). %ga is one of those features which is OK if it works for you, otherwise it is better to provide the toggle directly in your code via a callback function. In other words, I am not offering to fix %ga.

OK, if that's the root of the problem, I can provide code to fix it. Perhaps %ga should come with a "use at your own risk" warning - you seem to be implying that it's known to be "temperamental".
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

Andy

By the usual Fortran default, the compiler assumes that clearwin_info@ returns a default REAL (from the implicit range of the first letter). The linker finds the routine in salflibc.dll but links it as returning an INTEGER*4. Everything works OK until the two conflict at runtime. To resolve the problem the compiler needs to know the correct return type. You can provide this information directly in the code or "USE clrwin".
sparge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Apologies if I'm being dense here, but ... I have the compiler switch /IMPLICIT_NONE in my FTN95 config file. Why does that not prevent the compiler from making the default type assumption about clearwin_info@?

Andy
sparge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Window closure puzzle Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Paul

Paul,

I have now modified the code, commenting out the %ga format code in order to (try and) take full explicit control of the two radio buttons - see attached - and the issue remains. The first time the graphics region window is closed manually i.e. by clicking at top right, the radio buttons are toggled by some invisible callback process. Subsequently, the code works as expected. In my real application, however, the toggling happens repeatedly but not repeatably i.e. not just the first time the window is closed manually, but not every time.

It seems that it is not the gang format that is responsible. On the grounds that I don't see what more I can do to code around the problem, I am reporting this as a bug for investigation, please. I have sent a zip of the code to ftn95@silverfrost.com.

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

sparge wrote:
Paul,

Apologies if I'm being dense here, but ... I have the compiler switch /IMPLICIT_NONE in my FTN95 config file. Why does that not prevent the compiler from making the default type assumption about clearwin_info@?

Andy

I guess that /IMPLICIT_NONE does not relate to the names of subprograms. We used to have /DCLVAR but this has not yet been implemented in FTN95.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: