forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Examples not in the FTN95 dir - bad idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Examples not in the FTN95 dir - bad idea Reply with quote

They should be in FTN95 folder not in one of 100000000 folders somewhere else. Even automatic keyword search of entire computer does not find them. As a result people do not know and do not learn the best way - on existing examples
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Dan.
It's not actually in 'any of 100000 places' , mine's in "Documents" Folder, the historical place to put stuff, but I agree it should be in an FTN85 folder ("Examples" for ... err .... example ! Wink) so it's visible.

Even better would be if there was a dedicated section of the website in the kind of style PLPLOt have done, with both the example codes and some screenshots (invaluablle) !!!!

Asummary list of bried descriptions would be the order of the day too, maybe both alphabetically and categorised by for example applicable module (fortran, Clearwin+, native%PL, etc....) .
Cross-referencing by hyperlinking from applicable references in the on-line manual would also be super, something sadly lacklustre imo in the current manual since there are lots of links which just don't work.

I remember spotting it when I first installed ftn95 amost 4 years ago now and I think I just forgot about it becasue the examples seemed somewhat limited.
Just checked and there it is with a stack of examples created almost a year ago in May 2016 !!!

I'd also suggest a dedicated forum category might be useful to 'advertise' (plug) the appearance of new examples too.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Examples were made in 2016? That would be good news. Yesterday I found the Examples in some ofUser/Local/AppData/sdfsdfsdf/sdfsdfsdf/sdfsdfsdf/sdfsdfsdf/sdfsdfsdfsdf folders, took what I needed but today I forgot again where they are to look if really new ones were made as I suggested that for decades. Even me, one of the users of FTN77/95 from their day one fails to find Examples in my own computer!
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for 'FTN95 Examples' in MS Exploer Dan.
Mine was found in the standard user 'Documents' folder.

My listing shows around 20 examples with a 'Last Modified' date of 34/5/2016 but I'm just wondering if this is something to do with the date the files were copied to the disc, although other files have dates in 2004, 1999, etc ,,,,,

The dates in the comments at the top of individual files appear tocrrespond to early dates 1990's. Maybe that's just a question of them not having been roì'igoroudly updated for an ymods ?

Maybe Paul could clarify if/when examples were updated/created in recent times?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: