forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLPLOT ... CMAKE & F2003 Capabilities
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good example of what I mean is to open any high profile scientific or financial journal and compare. Nature, Science, Physical Review...As usual, the beauty is skin deep (color and positions of elements) but it defines way too much in our lives. It is literally forbidden to ignore that. And it often costs nothing to involve professionals into improvement of visual design. Many universities teach students on real products and professors will gladly help not taking a penny
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe me? Here is what have been done for our international conference design by the fellow professors with their students for example. Just look how great are all of these works which surrounded all participants in the conference hall, posters halls, coffee places and launch rooms. Huge convention centers with the largest gatherings can not do any better. Cost for us? Zero. This is what all patriots of their universities and local businesses do. Look at these students' poster competition and tell me that you are not impressed.

http://icxrl2014.colostate.edu/DisplayPosters.pdf

Time to do a refresh here too.

Last edited by DanRRight on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 am; edited 2 times in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive indeed. I expect they'll all become managers in double-quick time wih those skills ;O)

You're right with examples 8 and 11 ---- and there's also 12 too.
There is undoubtedly a problem with the 'wow-factor' of others I'll agree, although for me that's largely due to:
a) mixing basic 'demonstration' examples with 'real-life' useful eìpractical examples
b) teh ridiculous idea of putting them all with a black background, and what's more with RED lines and text !!!! No exactly the most asthetic colour scheme !

Which brings me to another VERY important factor - choosing the right colour scheme. Ater all one needs tocater for the colour-blind users too, hnce need for linestyles and symols.
A good rule of thumb for one is to make sure the plots are printable on a b&w printer and clear and intelligible - something the majority of people overlook, espcìecially with pressures to cut back on colour printing for both ecological reasons and cost ! ìAt the end of the day though, the reson these things don't get updated is that they are free ! and no incentive to spend hours working on them if they serve the (often specific) purpose for which they were created. One can't criticise them for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: