forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debugger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Debugger Reply with quote

Well, while the latest 8.10 SDBG64 is way better then previous ones it is still not fully fixed.

It works when all large problems are cleaned preliminary with 32 bit SDBG but often fails without preliminary cleaning. Such cleaning is not always possible when you substantially depart from older 32bits.

It may display the lines you step incorrectly, may jump crazily up or down into wrong place, and with unknown problem all variables inside the subroutine could be displayed as -2.3212313d-308 (something UNDEFINED may be causing that) , offending lines still may not be shown correctly, parameters are not shown (with or without /full_debug)

I hope company did not stop working to further improvement of SDBG64.

Last edited by DanRRight on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDBG64, it seems to me, is very much "work in progress". It is better than the alternatives, whose count is zero, since FTN95/64 uses its own debug information and its own linker that cannot be used by other debuggers.

Here is a list of missing features that I noted.

The font and screen colors cannot be changed using the SDBG menus.

Cannot open a different source file (than the one containing the current line) and set breakpoints in that file, anticipating getting there later.

The near "killer" : cannot kill the program and restart in the debugger. Have to exit and relaunch the debugger.

Cannot copy text from the variables panes. I often want to copy some numbers and work with them in the Windows calculator or other software to check some short calculations.

The function return variable (= the function name, unless a RESULT clause has been used) is not in the variables pane.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encourage colleagues Fortraneers to gather and immediately send to Silvetfrost any small size examples where debugger behaves irrationally. Don't try to resolve the problem yourselves, the debugger has to do most of your job. Definitely you will catch the bug even without debugger but that is mazochistic way of programming. All my examples are unfortunately typically too large (plus involve a lot of clicking due to GUI) which will cause just headache of developers when they will try to reproduce the bug...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: