forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plato debugger freeze

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

I am running Salford FTN 95 on a notebook, Intel P4 2.0GHz processor 512M RAM and Windows 2000 SP4 with all the Microsoft updates. I load a simple console C++ program into Plato3 V3.30 IDE. I build the project, then from the green triangle the ‘Continue Debugging’ icon I start debug. It originally worked fine, but during a debug session, I got an error message box appear on the screen. It was titled 'Waiting' and read, 'The application being debugged is running. Control will return to the debugger when either a breakpoint or error occurs', and a pause button. In the background are three windows, Plato3's IDE, Salford Win32 Debugger and SDBG.exe. The computer is not locked, you can move around the desktop and open other programs but you are unable to close SDGB.exe. When you close the warning message box with the Pause button, you get an ‘Access Violation’ information box, The message reads 'The instruction at address 037f4f7b attempted to read from location 000000000’, under that is a panel showing further information and a, ‘Save’ a ‘Details’ and a ‘Close’ button. When you close that screen the debugger screen closes, but not the SDBG.exe screen, which you are unable to close by any method. The Plato IDE will close and you can still use any of the other programs on the computer. If you ctrl, alt, del and switch to Windows Task Manager it shows SDBG.exe still running, but you are unable to end task. The only way to get out of it, is to power off, as the computer will not shut down. I have uninstalled the entire Salford software, rebooted and reinstalled Salford software but you only get the above problem immediately again. The only way I have succeeded in curing this problem is to format the notebook and install Windows again, which is what I did last week and exactly the same problem has returned. I'm hoping some body can give me an alternate to doing that again. Kind regards and thank you for taking the time to read all of this.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

Sometime this means that the program is waiting for input data.

Is their a DOS box waiting for you to type in some data?

It certainly should not be necessary to re-install Windows.
ian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for your reply. No, there are no windows or boxes waiting for any input. If you try to debug the simplest “Hello World” two line program, you get the same error as I have described. The debugger worked fine for the first three or four uses and then this fault started, it doesn’t matter what you are debugging. In the end, it was at a convenient time in the life of the notebook to format it and load all my programs fresh. Plato’s debugger then worked again for the first few tries and then this fault started again.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

Ian

Try running the Debugger (SDBG) from a command line in a DOS box
(SDBG.exe prog.exe where prog.exe is your executable).
Also try deleting SDBG.ini which is probably in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32.

ian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

Hi Paul, I tried running SDBG.exe and the “Hello World” program in a dos window and exactly the same fault as described earlier occurs, I have to power off the computer to clear the SDBG.exe window. I have also deleted the SDBG.ini file but the same fault occurs. I’m running Plato on the note book on Windows 2000, is the any incompatibility issue there? The program runs okay on my desktop XP machine.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Plato debugger freeze Reply with quote

Ian

SDBG normally runs fine on Windows 2000 so there must be something unusual about your set up.
At the moment I cannot think of anything else that you could try to overcome the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: