forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLPLOT ... CMAKE & F2003 Capabilities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: PLPLOT ... CMAKE & F2003 Capabilities Reply with quote

I've been lookiing at the possibility of being able to get PLPLOT to run with FTN95, to see it's general plotting capabilities are like (there seem to be a lot of possibilities (similar to SIMDEM/SIMFIT)

It appears however, after asking on the PLPLOT mailinglist, that to compile the PLPLOT source requires:-

a) CMAKE compatability
b) some Fortran 2003 features (not sure which)

I have no idea what MAKE is all about let alone CMAKE and what they need to work with FTN95 (or rather vice-versa) and I don't think there is much implemented of F 2003 as of today in FTN95 either.

Am I wasting my time looking into this becasue there's just no way it will work ?

The people over at PLPLOT don't even appear to be aware of the existence of Silverfrost & FTN95 !!!!

They state on the website that the installation procedure is working with MingGW (a gfortran implementation) (and as of course Intel)but I don't know if that gives hope for it to work with FTN95 or not.
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Windows ports of Unix packages have reduced functionality and reduced support.

If you do not already use Cmake, GCC and Cygwin, I suggest that you not try (unless you are consumed by the urge to try). Even the compressed tar ball of the Plplot sources is about 16 Mbytes!

I can provide an experimental, untested DLL of Plplot 5.3.1 that you can use with FTN95 to build and run some of the Plplot Fortran examples . Some examples will not work without modification because, unlike with Gfortran, I/O to an unopened file in FTN95 will cause an error instead of automatically opening files named FORTnn for unit #nn.

Last edited by mecej4 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be great if you could put it somewhere to dl.
I'd just like to see how it works as on paper the things in there look interesting.

After that, if it is interesting, put pressure on them to get something working for FTN95 compatability.
I was surprised in the brief exchange I had on their mailing list that :
a) the key bloke sad he's never heard of FTN95 (and this is a guy who I think has been involved in Fortran standards over the years
b) the focus is on linux (still a pretty niche OS)

Oh btw, how did you get the dll ?
was it offered at the time of that version or did you build from source ?
The latest version they don't even give the source for FTN95 building, and the graphics package isn't included in the downloadable build either, only for C !!!

John
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the zipped DLL from https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu2zpjffai99o7j/plpltSal.zip?dl=0 .

Unzip; to build the PLPLOT examples, e.g., x01f.f, do
Code:

ftn95 x01f.f
slink x01f.obj plplot.dll

There were about 20 Fortran examples in the Plplot source distribution. Each of then, when run, gives you a selection of three output devices: the Windows GDI, a PS file and a PSC file. For the PS/PSC files you will need a suitable viewer such as GSView.

You can the set of examples for the current version of Plplot at http://plplot.sourceforge.net/examples.php . I have not tested them with the DLL.

The sources that I used are from a variety of places, accumulated over many years, with quite a few undocumented patches that I applied to get the thing to compile. I do not wish to distribute the sources or support the DLL itself. If you like the DLL and it works, you can use it as long as you want. If some routine does not work, you will need to consider building from the current SourceForge distribution of PLPLOT.

Last edited by mecej4 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej5, this is great , thank you, much more than I was expecting when I first posted after seeing the initial reactions on the PLPLOT newsgroup. I'll give it a whirl before attempting a build from source (if I can that is, it states on their website that for windows the Graphics library isn't available. I'll see if I get that far).
I'll let you know how I get on .
Interestingly there was a post on my thread a few days ago where someone (one of the developers) suggested to the main developer that there may be a 'window' to look into getting FT_n-95 (remember, 'unknown' (god knows how) to them.
It seems at frst glance that they've never had any contact from Silverfrost (there was a nessage to that effect but when they frst contacted compiler vendors I think it was before Silverfrost took the reins from Salford (remember them).
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting the DLL, I tried running some of the examples included in the current distribution. Not a single one worked, because in the new versions they have added a dependency on the ISO_FORTRAN_ENV module, which we do not (yet) have in FTN95.

I have collected those of the examples from the old distribution that work (one or two needed modification to avoid writing to unit 0 without a prior OPEN). The 17 examples, in a Zip, are at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mf6bd0iyim9eix/plpEx.zip?dl=0 .

Note that the DLL is only for 32-bit FTN95. It is probably premature to consider building a 64-bit DLL for 64-bit FTN95.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4, OK, i compiled and tried all 4 options these examples offer, my computer shows no graphs from any of them. How to see these plots?
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see graphics on-screen only if you choose option-1, "win3". The next two produce B/W and color Postscript files, for which you will need to obtain a viewer such as Ghostview, or a PS-PDF converter. Option-4 (Null device), I believe, is intended for use in debugging Plplot programs during development.

If you chose option-1 and did not see graphics, you should have seen some error message. Do you have the two PLPLOT font files, plstnd5.fnt and plxtnd5.fnt? If not, download the plpEx.zip file again, I have added the font files to the example Fortran files.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, now works ok. No modern fonts?
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two are the only pre-built font files in the current distribution, too. There are some C files in a subdirectory called 'fonts', so I suppose that one could construct other font files, but I don't know. You can see if they tell you how to do that in their Wiki.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plplot uses two separate font systems to display characters. The Hershey font system gives access to Hershey fonts that come with PLplot. All of our older devices and most of our modern devices allow use of the Hershey font system. The unicode font system gives access to unicode-aware system fonts. Some of our older devices and most of our modern devices allow use of the unicode font system.

Read more here:-
http://plplot.sourceforge.net/docbook-manual/plplot-html-5.12.0/characters.html#unicodefont
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... of course that's the documentaton for the latest V 5.12.0 released in January past, whereas the 'working dll' here is v5.3 so maybe all these font options aren't a vailable in that version (which dates from 10 yrs or so ago I think. We'l lsee.
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points to place things in perspective.

When Unicode was being developed, a 9600 baud printer was standard. If the printer did not have Unicode in its store, the computer had to download the Unicode font(s) to the printer.

To download a 22 MB font file at 9600 baud would take over six hours. Most people might not expect to wait that long to print a Unicode page containing a couple of kilobytes, and think instead that the printer or the computer had crashed.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys who support it should rebuild all examples which now look obsolete. There are very good Example 8 (click right mouse there) and 11, but the whole "wrap" is damaging any wishes for acceptance. I am surprised things look like frozen in ancient ages. For the authors to add good modern look is a couple days work, for us it could be close to impossible, so rarely which users want to experiment
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit harsh Dan, even though I know what you mean.
We must realise that any example set is dependent on personal choices and it's a bi of an art to impress and scientists are not artists !
Updating examples databases should be simple if it's done systematically, but do you really expect computer programmers to be that systematic in their approach Smile .... ones like Paul excepted of course Smile
It's a bit like us doing the necessary checks on our own programs - after several loops of doing exhaustive series of check problems you begin to say 'oh we'' leave it until 5 iterations time ... then it becomes 10 .... always for 'good reasons' of course (usually schedule squeeze)
No different with updating a suite of 'product demonstration' examples.

What things specifically don't you like on various plots, just fonts or linestyles etc .... ? Remember if your using mecej4's dll which is 10 years ago and we don't know if the trutype fonts were implemented then
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: