forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8.05 + VS 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_eck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: 8.05 + VS 2015 Reply with quote

I'm playing with Personal FTN95 in VS 2015 Community Edition. It appears that 8.05 is the latest version (as of a few days ago). Is this correct? (I ask because the VS2015 About box reports that Silverfrost FTN95 Version 2.0.0.0 is installed!?)

Installation went well and I was starting to compile a few of the files in my program. Then I updated to VS 2015 SP3. Now, when I right-click on a file in the Solution Explorer and choose "Compile", the status bar flashes and returns to "Ready" in the left corner of the status bar. There is nothing in the Output window. (There was before SP3.) Build All appears to complile the files, but ends with "Build failed" in the status bar and nothing in the Output window.

Reinstallation did not help.

Any ideas?
dr_eck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Personal is now 8.10 but still not compilation Reply with quote

The Personal FORTRAN page now describes the download as 8.10, so it appears that I'm getting the latest code. I uninstalled what I had previsously downloaded and installed 8.10. Unfortunately, there is no change. I'm still getting no output in the Output window.
davidb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use the plugin in this post I think

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=3360

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm.
dr_eck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

davidb wrote:
You need to use the plugin in this post I think

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the plugin. When I ran it, it gave me the choice to Repair or Uninstall. I chose Repair and let it run. It claimed to succeed. Unfortunately, I'm still getting nothing in the Output window.

Fortunately, the compiler works fine in VS2013 and I can round-trip, so I'll just do my editing in 2015 (it's a lot better) and compile in 2013.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the problem be linked to the fact that there are several releases of v 2015 of the Community edition in the web-o-sphere ?

Which version are you using (Original Rlse, Update 1, 2, or 3 ) ?

From Silverfrost side, the plugin development was related to work with which version of 2015 ? (Community ? Pro ? Enterprise ? and which releases of each ?)

Current version is 2017 (since 5 days ago !) !

While I wouldn't necessarily expect Sfrost to update the plugin for every single release of VS, it would be interesting to know if the 2015 plugin works with 2017 also.
It should be clearly documented somewhere which precise version(s) the plugin will cater for (in the 'Announcement section for example where the plugin link is, as well as the relevant section of the documentation for VS useage)

-NOTE -
It's worth noting here that obtaining a copy of Visual Community 2015) is not that simple to obtain (M$ having the philosophy of trying to 'suppress' useage of older versions by making their download page 'generic' and only linking to an online installer of only the latest version.
Links do exist but finding them is tortuous if your level of patience scouring forums is not quite high.
There's also a M$ page which explains how you can use the offline installer and SAVe the files to a directoryfor offline installation, but that's wuite 'hiffììdden' too (I came across it by chance)
It's also a 7Gb download !!!!! That's 7 Gigabytes !!!!
I seem to remember the 2013 version was about 2 Gb (don't yer just love bloatware ! )
dr_eck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@John-Silver: Thanks for your response. As noted in my original post, FTN95 worked until I updated VS2015 Community Edition from SP2 to SP3. I have no idea why that caused a problem. It could also have been something related to the fact that I downloaded and installed what the Personal FNT95 page said was version 8.05, then I downloaded and applied the VS2015 installer. And later, after the Personal page was updated to 8.10, I uninstalled everything and installed that. FTN95 stopped working in VS2015 CE partway through the process and still does not work in VS2015. I'm just glad that it works in VS 2013 CE so I have a workaround.
dr_eck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgh! I just installed VS 2017 and now I can't even compile in VS2013. I'm dead in the water. Can anyone help?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you give Plato a try. It may provide an environment wher you can run your Fortran codes.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or just compile using BAT files and debug in SDBG. Less is more.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FTN95 worked until I updated VS2015 Community Edition from SP2 to SP3

I'd bet a fiver that's where the problem is.
Only Silverfrost can confirm which version was used to checkthe porting as announced here:-
which was October last year

VS 2015 Rlse 3 was released a bit earlier in June 2016, but no guarantee that was used as the baseline for the plugin though.

Meanwhile 2017 released in -march THIS year so , being M$ ware it's highly likelu to have inrìtoìroduced changes/bugs which would mke it susceptible to requiring an update to the FT_N96 plugin
dr_eck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

JohnCampbell wrote:
Why don't you give Plato a try. It may provide an environment wher you can run your Fortran codes.

Embarassed Now why didn't I think of that?! It got me going again. The funny thing is that once I got the program to compile in Plato, it started behaving properly in VS2015. Wierd!

Once I changed to the Consolas font in Plato (so I can distinguish between 0 and O), it wasn't bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: